Epilogue

September 1966

Sharon was running around frazzled having agreed to hold a Bon Voyage party for Stephanie and Michael before they left for England. Well, she hadn't exactly agreed, she'd insisted, and she could tell Louis was getting annoyed by how much she'd taken on.

'Hey, why are we having to have this thing here?' he asked as she hurriedly tidied the kids' toys away.

'Well, we have a bigger house than Johnny and Paulette so it makes sense to hold it here,' she pointed out. After they had got married in her mother had sold them her house with a generous discount, much to the envy of their friends.

'Couldn't Rhonda have come and helped?' Louis grumbled. 'No don't tell me, you insisted on doing it all by yourself.'

She smiled sheepishly. 'I can manage but could you go give Thomas his breakfast?' Thomas was their two-year-old son who had arrived nine months after their wedding to the surprise of no one.

'And what about the demon child?' Louis asked groaning.

'Don't call her that,' Sharon admonished trying not to smile, their daughter did have a hell of a temper. 'Anna had a bottle earlier, I don't think she'll be hungry.'

'My mom was saying we shouldn't pander to her all the time,' Louis started to say and she silenced him with a stern look. She hated anything that was remotely like criticism where their kids were concerned, but fortunately, Louis knew his life was happier if he left her to it.

                                                                         ~~~

'Come on JJ it's time we were going,' Paulette shouted to her son Jonathan Junior as she gave her hair one last brush.

'I wanna play,' he said sitting down stubbornly.

'You'll get to play at Auntie Sharon's.'

'Will she have ice cream?'

'I'm sure she will.' Sharon left nothing to chance. Paulette tried not to feel jealous, things had only been harder for her and Johnny because they'd started off on the back foot. If they'd had that extra year that Sharon and Louis had had to prepare before they'd got married, they wouldn't have struggled so much.

'Will Goose be going?' Paulette asked Johnny who was still sat watching TV.

He turned to her frowning. 'Why wouldn't he?'

'Well he and Rhonda were together, I thought he might feel a bit awkward.'

'Nah Goose was over her years ago, they weren't that serious in the first place.'

'I guess I'm overthinking it,' she mused. 'So JJ are you looking forward to playing with Thomas?'

'Yeah,' he said perking up.

Paulette turned to Johnny. 'I think JJ would like a sibling.'

'Ahem, maybe in another year.'

'Oh come on, JJ is three and a half now,' she said exasperated. 'Sharon got married after me and she already has two kids, and I bet she'll be onto her third before long.'

'Paulette the only thing that surprised me about Sharon is that she didn't have boy-girl twins! Seriously do you think she planned to get pregnant when Thomas wasn't even a year old?' Paulette frowned but she knew Johnny was right. Sharon and Louis had been somewhat shell shocked when she'd fallen pregnant whilst they were settling down with their first child.

~~~

'So where's my goddaughter,' Goose hollered as he stepped into Sharon and Louis's living room.