Chapter 10

Much as Stephanie wanted to spend as little time as possible around Johnny she made a point of going to the Bowlarama for their regular bowling night. She wasn't going to let him push her any further out of her friendship group. The winter formal had demonstrated how isolated she was when the girls were with their T bird boyfriends.

"Did I tell you I thought I saw Balmudo yesterday at Frosty's Palace?" Paulette asked, her eyes brimming with excitement. "At least, I think I did."

"Why would he go there?" Steph asked, not convinced by Paulette's tale. "It's not his scene."

Paulette glanced over at the t birds who were playing on the pinball machines and lowered her voice. "Johnny reckons he's staking him out."

Sharon and Rhonda exchanged anxious looks but Stephanie laughed.

"Yeah in Johnny's head, or maybe his nightmares."

"That's not true," Paulette said pouting.

"Look I've seen it with my own eyes loads of times." She'd been with Johnny for years and knew all about his game playing and posturing. Paulette opened her mouth to object but Dolores came running in, dashing over to the T birds.

"Balmudo's out front and he's all alone," she said breathlessly.

Johnny froze and his game ended.

"Tilt, my turn," Goose said getting into position.

"Your turn after we tilt that crater face Balmudo," Johnny said deadpan. He turned to leave, Goose and Louis fell into line with him.

"Louis, be careful," Sharon called out running after them. Steph paused for a moment but curiosity got the better of her and she followed the crowd. She pushed her way to the front of the small crowd that had gathered behind the glass doors at the front of the Bowlarama. She could see Johnny, Louis and Goose were facing not only Balmudo but all his gang.

Shit, they've been set up.

"They're gonna get creamed," Rhonda whispered while Sharon nervously chewed on her cigarette holder. Steph strained to hear what was being said outside but moments later Johnny pulled the door open and the T birds dived inside locking it behind them. Johnny pushed past the crowd around him ignoring the murmurs that he'd punked out.

"What's everyone looking at?" he shouted to no one in particular and Steph rolled her eyes thinking same old Johnny.

"Hey, where's Davey?" Goose asked looking around.

"He went out front," someone shouted. They all looked at each other in dismay, before turning their eyes to Johnny. He shrugged helplessly, running his hand through his hair.

"We can't just leave him," Goose started to say as the roar of engines caught their attention. Steph guessed Balmudo was loudly letting them know he was leaving but they made their way to the doors to see exactly what the commotion was anyway. Outside Davey lying on the floor while Balmudo was screaming at the gang around him, gesticulating wildly.

"Get him!" Balmudo yelled pointing at some guy on a motorcycle who appeared to have come between him and Davey. Stephanie stepped out of the Bowlarama to get a better look at what was going on, it looked like some sort of bike chase. She watched awestruck as the gang tried to catch the biker but he outran them at every turn. She'd never seen anything like it and listening to the hushed voices around her she wasn't the only one. She quickly glanced at the T birds and saw a mixture of admiration and jealousy on their faces, Johnny especially was positively green. Moments later sirens sounded and all the bikers fled.

"Wow," Paulette gasped speaking for all of the pink ladies who exchanged impressed glances.

"Everyone inside, we bowl," Johnny snapped straightening his jacket collar.