Chapter 22

It was more than a month after graduation before Stephanie got together with the t birds and pink ladies again. She'd finally agreed to meet up with them at the Bowlarama, more to keep the peace than anything else. She was kinda surprised that Michael even wanted to go, in his position she'd have given Johnny a very wide berth.

Holding Michael's hand she made her way over to the bowling lanes where the t birds were waiting. 'Hi, guys.'

'Hey, the gang's finally back together,' Davey said as if Michael had always been one of them.

'Yeah, I feel like you guys have abandoned me,' Goose grumbled giving Johnny a dark look.

'Some of us have work to do,' Johnny pointed out. 'We can't all be layabouts.' Louis nodded and Davey looked sheepish.

'It's not my fault my old man's making me go to college,' he mumbled. 'It's not like I wanna.'

'Yeah it's hardly going to be a barrel of laughs,' Michael added and Steph felt her stomach knot together.

'But won't it be worth going to college to stay in California?' she asked trying to keep the anxiety out of her voice.

'Course it will,' Michael said but she could tell he wasn't thrilled at the prospect. However, the arrival of the pink ladies brought her conversation with Michael to an end.

'Finally, the chicks have arrived,' Johnny drawled. 'I guess we can't blame you this time?' He looked at Steph and she tried to laugh but being friends with Johnny wasn't coming naturally to her.

'Sorry we're late, it was my fault,' Paulette said breathlessly. 'I must have tried on ten different outfits before I found something that fits!'

'That's okay,' Johnny said. 'But how about we start that game.'

They all took up their usual positions and Stephanie noticed Paulette looked uncomfortable as she tried to adjust her bra, for once not doing it to get Johnny's attention.

'Are you alright?' she whispered thinking it was a while since they'd had a good talk.

'I don't know,' Paulette admitted lowering her voice. 'I've been so bloated lately, I thought it was cos I was due on but I'm way late now.'

Steph's eyes widened, her mouth dropping open. 'Shit, Paulette...' She didn't know what to say. She'd always thought Paulette was all talk, she didn't think her and Johnny were that serious.

'I know,' Paulette said glumly. 'I was due round about when we did the talent show but nothing's happened.'

'That's ages ago! Are you normally late?'

'No, that's why I thought I was being safe, you know counting the days.'

Steph pulled a face, Paulette really hadn't understood Mr Stewart's biology lessons at all. 'Does Johnny know?'

'No, I don't know how to tell him, I keep thinking it'll go away.'

Steph glanced over at Johnny, he was laughing with Goose as if he didn't have a care in the world. 'Well, you'll have to tell him or your parents or something. If you are pregnant they'll find out soon enough.'

'He's going to be so mad, just when things were going well.' Paulette's eyes fell on Johnny and she did not continue.

Stephanie followed her gaze. 'He might surprise you...' She couldn't continue though, she couldn't see Johnny being anything other than horrified.

~~~~

'I wonder why they've got their heads together,' Rhonda said to Sharon, looking over at Stephanie and Paulette.