Chapter 1

Stephanie put her belongings in her locker whilst the other pink ladies idly chatted beside her. She smiled pretending to listen but her attention was focused on the hallway where she could see Johnny and Goose approaching. She turned her back, hoping against hope, that Johnny would pass by without a confrontation.

'Hi Johnny,' Paulette said breathlessly. 'I really like your hair at the back, it's really cool.' Stephanie bit her lip, trying not to smile as Paulette blatantly tried to get her ex's attention.

'Thanks,' Johnny said to Paulette before his eyes landed on Stephanie. She turned around, bracing herself. 'So what's the story?'

'Yeah, what's the story?' Goose demanded before Johnny shooed him away.

'You know the story Johnny, it's over,' Steph said quietly. How many times did they have to have this conversation? She'd let him talk her around too many times over the summer but it was no good, it would never work between them. Johnny met her eyes looking confused.

'That's not good enough,' he said but without his usual assurance.

'Don't make a scene ok.' Steph could see the girls were watching their encounter. Johnny jumped back offended.

'There's no scene.' He straightened the collar on his jacket, backing off as Louis and Davey joined them.

'What scene?' Louis asked, eyebrows raised.

Johnny grabbed him, shoving him against the locker, his frustration getting the better of him. 'There's no scene!'

Stephanie rolled her eyes, and to think Johnny wondered why she'd had enough of him. She slammed her locker shut and turned to see Louis was now making out with Sharon, and Johnny was strutting down the hallway, Goose at his heels.

'Ok girls let's go,' she said. Rhonda looked at herself critically in the mirror for one last time, and Paulette fluffed her hair. Sharon had unlocked her lips from Louis's and they were making their way to Mr Spears homeroom, whilst Steph ushered Rhonda and Paulette towards Miss Mason's class.

                                                                     ~~~

Stephanie was halfway down the corridor when she saw Goose grab some guy and throw him against a locker. She gaped at Johnny who stood to one side laughing. He shrugged before they sauntered off as if it were a perfectly normal occurrence, which in a way, it was. Steph glared after them and then approached Goose's victim who seemed a little stunned but otherwise unharmed.

'Hey don't let those jerks get to you,' she said thinking he looked vaguely familiar as he tried to flatten his dishevelled blond hair.

'Oh thanks, I won't,' he stuttered and she recognised his voice. It was the guy who'd sat next to her on the bus. 'I'm Mich-'

She turned her back on him, walking quickly away. She might have offered him a sympathetic word but that didn't mean she wanted to make a new friend, much less anything more than that.

                                                                        ~~~

At lunchtime, Stephanie made her way over to the table where the pink ladies were sat. She saw Johnny heading in the same direction and cursed. She was the leader of the pink ladies, why did he have to sit with her girls?

'When are you guys gonna grow up?' she snarled as soon as he and Goose sat down.

'What are you talking about?' Sharon asked her interest piqued.

'These jerks were beating up on some new kid earlier.' Steph cut her eyes at Johnny. 'I'd be more impressed if you did it one on one but when you have this lug-' She gestured to Goose. 'Well, that's just pathetic.' Rhonda looked at Goose disapproving.