Chapter 11

"This is much better," Michael said handing Stephanie her Hamlet essay back at rehearsals.

"Phew," she said breathing a sigh of relief that she wouldn't have to do yet another rewrite. "Thanks for helping me out."

"No problem." His face broke into an easy smile. "I've enjoyed myself."

She looked at him trying to work out if he was being typically English or if he meant it.

"I'm serious," he said picking up on her doubts. "You're a good student, just a bit rough around the edges."

She laughed but it turned into a groan.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

"I've got stuff on my mind," she admitted her brows furrowing. "It's no big deal."

"What sort of stuff?"

"Oh it's so stupid," she said feigning nonchalance. "But did you hear about all the drama at the Bowlarama last week? The motorcycle chase?"

"Yeah, there was some kind of fight?"

"Well, there was this guy, the one on the bike who saved Davey from a beating. I don't know why but he's got to me," she said her cheeks flushing. "I don't know if it was his look, his attitude, the way he handled his bike...he was the whole package."

"Right," Michael said the corners of his mouth twitching.

"Yeah, it's dumb isn't it?" she said seeing the look on his face. God, I sound like a kid with a crush.

"No, I wouldn't say it's dumb," Michael said carefully. "I guess there must have been something about him."

Stephanie frowned not sure if he was mocking her. "But I don't even know him and I'm imagining, well I don't know what I'm imagining. I'll probably never see him again."

"I think there's a good chance you'll run into him again," Michael said. "He must be from around here if he goes to the Bowlarama."

"Hmm, maybe," she said wanting to bring the conversation to an end. "I think the twins are ready for you." They were stood by the piano gesticulating furiously for Michael to join them.

"Duty calls," he said standing up and winking at her.

She gaped at his retreating form. Since when did Carrington start getting cocky?

~~~

Rehearsals were going badly for the pink ladies. Stephanie was so hung up on the mystery guy from the Bowlarama she could barely remember her lines, much less sing in tune. Poor Sharon was on the verge of a nervous breakdown but Steph couldn't bring herself to care about a high school talent show.

"Your timings are all off," Sharon yelled stopping the performance. "How hard is it to sing and dance in time with the music!"

Rhonda and Paulette looked helplessly at Steph. "Sharon you're making them worse. If you calm down-"

"I am calm!"

Rhonda and Paulette burst out laughing, and Sharon stormed off the stage, Louis running after her.

Stephanie shrugged. "I guess that's it for today," she said not caring.

"I'm tired of Miss Bossy Boots," Paulette complained glaring at Sharon's retreating form. "She's a slave driver."

"Ignore her, she just highly strung."

"I don't know how Dimucci puts up with her," Paulette added as she flung the headpiece from her costume down. "Johnny doesn't realise how lucky he is to have me."