Chapter 4

"So where are you going tonight?" Paulette's mom asked she watched her touch up her lipstick.

"Frosty's Palace," Paulette said her eyes shining. "I have a date."

"With who? Have your father and I met him?"

Paulette held in a groan. "Yeah, I think you have met him. I'm going with Johnny Nogerelli."

Her mom paused, her brows furrowing. "Stephanie's boyfriend? You're going on a date with Stephanie's boyfriend?"

"He's not her boyfriend," she said smiling tightly, fluffing her hair up. "They broke up ages ago."

"Even so," her mom said shaking her head. "It's a bit too close to home. You're going to throw your friendship away over some boy."

"Don't be silly, Steph's cool with me and Johnny getting together. Besides, she dumped him."

Her mom gave her a stern look. "So you're going out with one of her cast-offs? Don't you have more self-respect than that?"

"Why are you always so down on me?" Paulette snapped her good mood evaporating. "I've liked Johnny for ages and he finally asks me out and now you're making me feel like shit about it."

"Language!"

"I mean it, mom." She imagined herself as a tragic heroine in an old fashioned romance and managed to make her eyes well up. "I like him and I've been looking forward to tonight but you're spoiling it already." 

"I'm sorry but I don't want you putting some boy before your friendships," her mom said more conciliatory. "But if this Johnny means so much to you, invite him round to dinner. Your father and I would like to meet him."

She gulped taken aback. "Thanks, I'll ask him."

"You do that."

"Yeah, I will." Maybe in a month or two, maybe a year...I don't wanna scare him off.

~~~

"Now promise you won't get mad Rhonda," Goose said as they made their way into Frosty's Palace.

She let go of his hand and glared at him. "What have you done now?"

He shrugged looking sheepish. "Just a favour, for a friend." He cocked his head towards the queue waiting to be served, and Rhonda spotted Johnny and Paulette. "Johnny wanted us to double date with them, just so Paulette doesn't start reading too much into things."

"God forbid," she said sourly. "I'd hate her to think going on a date with a guy meant he liked her."

"Rhonda..."

"Don't worry, I'll play nice." She gave Paulette a quick wave and was rewarded with a tight smile which conveyed Paulette was as disappointed with the double date as she was.

"I hope he doesn't make her pay for her food," she whispered as she watched Johnny placing their order.

Goose laughed. "He'll probably make her pay for his!"

Rhonda peered at them and was relieved to see Paulette didn't get her purse out. That was something at least. She turned her attention back to Goose.

"Anyway, how come you won't help us out with the talent show? Dimucci and Davey are," she said as they sat down. "We could do with some more guys to work on props, we have a pretty big performance planned."

'You know it's not my thing," Goose said scratching his head as if he were mulling it over. "And besides, Lou has ulterior motives. He's not helping you guys out of the goodness of his heart."