Chapter 6

"Well this is cosy," Johnny said as he parked up at the drive-in. "Half the gang ain't here."

"Does it matter?" Paulette asked with a smile. She couldn't help being happy that Stephanie had dropped out, but when Davey heard Sharon and Louis couldn't make it, he'd made his excuses as well.

"You're missing the point," Johnny said irritably. "What is it with everyone?"

"I dunno," Goose said. "They're not loyal."

"I think it's nice just the four of us," Paulette said quickly but Johnny scowled.

"We're supposed to stick together. This wouldn't have happened in Danny Zuko's day, the jacket meant something then."

"Yeah, the leader of the pink ladies bails and half the T birds," Goose said shaking his head. "They're out of line."

"You can't blame Davey," Paulette said. "It's no fun being the only singleton." She could well remember how that felt.

Johnny frowned. "He wouldn't have been the only singleton if Steph hadn't quit on us. And what's Dimucci's excuse?"

"That's down to his chick," Goose said, and then yelped when Rhonda elbowed him in the ribs.

"Sharon's not disloyal," Rhonda said. "Louis wanted to take her out by themselves."

Goose jeered but Paulette could see Johnny was mollified. She knew it was Steph's absence that was disappointing him.

"Can we just drop this and enjoy the movie," she said pushing her dismay at yet another confirmation that Johnny was still hung up on Stephanie to one side. "If they don't want to spend time with us why are we even talking about them?" She knew her argument would appeal to Johnny's ego and he put his arm around her on cue. She rested her head against him, grateful to have his attention.

"I'm gonna get some popcorn," Rhonda said as the credits began to roll. "Come with me Goose."

"Do I have to?" he said but he hopped out of the car anyway.

"You're not really upset that Stephanie's not here are you?" Paulette asked Johnny hesitantly. She suspected Steph wasn't far from his thoughts but they'd been spending a lot of time together and that surely had to count for something?

"Nah not really," Johnny said giving her his trademark smile. "But it's disrespectful, she's supposed to be the leader of the pink ladies but she's not acting like it. I've got a good mind to take her jacket off her."

Paulette gawped at him. "You can't do that!"

"Why not? There are plenty of other chicks who'd like to take her place. What about one of the girls Sharon got to join your act?"

Her stomach dropped, making her feel nauseous. Relegating Stephanie was one thing, Johnny bringing in her replacement was something else. He was bound to pick a girl he had the hots for, otherwise why bother?

"But Johnny, it's late in the day to find a new pink lady," she said trying not to sound rattled. "And you know me, Sharon and Rhonda, we don't get along with any other girls as well as we do with Steph. It would spoil our group if we didn't click."

"I get that," Johnny said giving her his full attention. "But Steph's damaging our reputation, she's always bad mouthing me for one thing."

"No, she isn't," Paulette insisted, rapidly backtracking on everything she'd told him. "It's just hard for her because you're not together anymore. She probably doesn't mean what she says."

Johnny's face broke into a smile. "You think she's being bitchy cos she still likes me?"

Her heart sank. "I think she finds the situation difficult, and she says the wrong thing. Like she still respects you and everything but I don't think she likes you in that way." Fingers and toes crossed.