Chapter 30

'Remind me again why we are meeting Johnny and Paulette on one of the few evenings we've had a chance to spend some time alone,' Michael grumbled to Stephanie.

She gave him a weak smile. 'I dread to think.' Paulette had begged her to join them on a double date, and she'd reluctantly agreed considering what Paulette was going through.

'But Johnny's going to marry Paulette? That hasn't changed has it?'

'I don't think so.' Steph pulled open the door to Frosty's Palace and lowered her voice. 'He told me he's told his parents so I don't think there will be any backing out now.' Steph could well imagine how much Mrs Nogerelli would disapprove, but she was certain she wouldn't let Johnny walk away from his responsibilities.

'Steph, Mike!' Paulette hollered from the back of the room. Steph looked in her direction. Paulette was waving, a big smile on her face; whatever the reason for getting them there was, it clearly wasn't bad news. Holding Michael's hand Stephanie led the way.

'Hey Johnny,' Michael said reaching out to shake his hand. Johnny grinned, looking more like his normal self.

'So how're things?' Steph asked. She knew Paulette had got them there for a reason.

'Cool,' Johnny said exchanging a glance with Paulette. 'Well, maybe not cool cool but-' He broke off shrugging.

'We told Johnny's parents,' Paulette explained. Steph tried to look as if it was news to her, she knew Paulette would get paranoid if she thought Johnny was confiding in her.

'How did they take it?' she asked.

Paulette's face broke into another smile and she grabbed Johnny's hand. 'Well they weren't happy, obviously, but compared to my mom's reaction they were...cool.' Johnny's expression suggested otherwise. 'They even said I can move in once we're married so we'll have a chance to save for somewhere decent to live.'

'That's great,' Steph said while thinking no way would she start a marriage off like that. 'I guess it's all systems go now.'

'Yes and that's why we got you here!' Paulette broke into a big smile. 'We want you two to be our witnesses.' Stephanie looked blankly at Michael. 'I mean like best man and bridesmaid, only cos it's not a church wedding it won't be quite the same.' Steph wasn't sure what to say.

'Wouldn't you rather have Goose?' Michael asked Johnny, and Paulette shook her head vigorously.

'Goose would treat it like a joke, and he probably can't even write his name to sign the certificate.'

Steph smiled, she could well imagine Goose signing 'Goose'. 'What about Louis?' she suggested, and again Paulette spoke for Johnny.

'No if Johnny has Louis I'd be expected to ask Sharon.'

Steph frowned chewing her gum. 'So have Sharon, what's wrong with that?'

Paulette pulled a face. 'Nothing I suppose, but you're my best friend.'

'Sharon has been pretty supportive of you lately,' Steph pointed out. She could well see Sharon taking it as a snub under the circumstances.

'She has a point,' Johnny added and Paulette scowled at him. 'Paulette, I don't care who we have, no offence Shakespeare. But Sharon has put you up these past few weeks, maybe it would be nice at least ask.'

'No, this is my wedding, such as it is, and I want to choose one of the few things I have some control over.' Johnny exchanged a wary look with Steph, and Michael cleared his throat.

'We'd both be happy to do it, if you want us.'

Johnny nodded. 'Great, that's sorted, I'll go order. My treat.' He got up, and Paulette followed.