Back to school, again

Back to school again, Stephanie thought as she stepped onto the bus. She let out a deep sigh mentally preparing herself for the inevitable confrontation she'd be having with Johnny Nogerelli in a matter of minutes. Her ex-boyfriend would not let her go, adamant that they were not over until he declared it. Arrogant asshole! Since he'd become the leader of the T Birds his ego had been out of control, his natural confidence had been replaced with cockiness.

She slid into an empty seat and put her sunglasses on, popping a piece of gum into her mouth she tried to give off the impression of cool sophistication. After all, she was the leader of the Pink Ladies, the coolest clique in school. She put her purse on the seat next to her lest anyone dare to try and sit there. However most of the guys getting on the bus barely glanced her way, no doubt still thinking she was Johnny's girl and strictly off-limits. Well, that was fine with her, she was through with high school guys anyway.

Idly she looked out the window as the bus began to fill up, the voices around her were louder than usual as people excitedly caught up with their friends. It crossed her mind that it was weird, here she was the most popular girl in school and no one attempted to talk to her. She assumed her status intimidated them, but that was kind of the whole point of being a Pink Lady, she was supposed to be untouchable. She spluttered at the thought, and a couple of kids exchanged nervous glances.

"Hey," Eugene said as he accidentally caught her eye. He gave her a half-smile, and she thought he trembled. She couldn't say she blamed him, Johnny bullied him relentlessly, and she had been known to join in. She felt a wave of shame and smiled at Eugene. He looked startled and hurried to an empty seat far away from her.

She glanced at the girls around her, a lot of them had taken extra care with their appearance for the first day of school. Talk about lame, it was no big deal. She looked down at her jeans, she guessed they were okay, she wasn't really a skirt girl anyway. Tight skirts were too restrictive and flared skirts were far too girlie for her, she'd leave them to Paulette.

She grimaced at the thought of her best friend, Paulette. She could barely conceal her glee that she'd broken up with Johnny, even asking if Steph would mind if she got together with him. Talk about jumping in her grave. She'd brushed the question off and had slyly suggested that Paulette might have competition from Rhonda or Sharon but they both knew that wasn't true. Rhonda and Sharon were happy enough with their own T Bird boyfriends, Goose and Louis. And it wouldn't surprise her if Sharon wanted to take over as head of the Pink Ladies, she'd become a lot more opinionated since she'd started going steady with Louis. She'd better keep an eye on both Paulette and Sharon.

"Is this seat taken?" a male voice interrupted her thoughts. She looked up to see a tall blonde student looking at her expectantly. She frowned slightly, wasn't there any other seats left? He continued to stare at her, his face slightly puzzled, and she reluctantly moved her purse so he could sit down. She gave him a quick once over and realised she'd never seen him before. He must be new and that's why he'd had the temerity to sit next to her.

"I'm Michael," he said holding his hand out. "It's nice to meet you."

She gave him a long look and rolled her eyes, he was gonna get eaten alive wearing a suit and tie for school. And his voice, he definitely wasn't Californian, he sounded possibly foreign.

He opened his mouth again as if about to engage her in conversation, and she turned away looking out of the window. Not that she could see much with her sunglasses on but she was in no mood for small talk at this time of day. Or any time of day. She began to psych herself up for the year ahead; she was a senior, a Pink Lady, and they were gonna rule the school!

~~~

Thank you for reading, please consider voting to help get this story out there.