Chemistry

"Hey Frenchy, can I hide out here?" Stephanie asked stepping into the chemistry lab. "The girls are driving me crazy."

Frenchy looked up, holding aloft a test tube that contained a suspicious looking blue liquid. "Be my guest, but you might not want to get too close, my last experiment was explosive."

"Literally?" Steph asked not sitting too close to Frenchy.

"Yep," Frenchy said sounding almost proud. "So what's happening with you and the girls?"

Stephanie sighed. "It's mostly Paulette. She's trying my patience and if I don't talk to somebody soon I'm gonna be the one exploding!"

"Now we wouldn't want that," Frenchy said putting the test tube down and giving Stephanie her full attention. "So spill."

"It's all so childish but I'm going insane listening to her going on about Johnny all the time. He's such a cool guy, such a fantastic boyfriend, and look how he walks on water," she said imitating Paulette's voice and Frenchy laughed.

"She does have it bad."

"I know, and I know she's always liked Johnny but it still feels sorta disrespectful to me," Steph admitted. "I don't want to come off as jealous but I was his girlfriend, we were together for two years, and then she goes and jumps in my grave...she could at least have waited till my body was cold."

Frenchy laughed. "She has been disrespectful and it's okay to call her out on it."

"Yeah, part of me wants to but I don't want the drama."

"There doesn't have to be drama, but tell her to shut her trap when she goes on about Johnny. You've been way more tolerant than most girls would be so I'd be telling her to show a bit of consideration back."

"I guess I could point that out," Steph said inching closer to Frenchy now she'd abandoned her experiments. "But it would probably get back to Johnny and he'd take it as a sign I still like him. He calls me all the time which I doubt she knows about."

"Oh dear," Frenchy said her mouth puckering up. "That does complicate matters."

"Doesn't it?" she said with a weary smile. "I bet you didn't have to put up with this shit when you were a pink lady."

"We had our fights, and our breakups and makeups, but we didn't have all these dumb codes and rules you've got," Frenchy admitted with a small frown. "For all Rizzo dated the two hottest T birds no way in hell would she have stood for being told she could only date T birds."

"Didn't she go out with the leader of the Scorpians?"

Frenchy nodded. "She sure did. She wasn't gonna let the T birds stop her."

"Maybe I should try that," Steph said winking. "Then Johnny would know we were through."

"Balmudo's butt ugly," Frenchy said, wrinkling her nose. "But if you did meet someone, I wouldn't let the code hold you back. If anything, I'd use it as an excuse to get rid of the code."

"Yeah, I should have when I became pink lady leader but I didn't think it would get taken so seriously." Steph frowned thinking that the girls were worse than the guys for reciting it. "I don't know why it was ever created; I mean everyone knows the pink ladies and T birds hang out, that we're kinda one big gang. Why make the girls T bird property?"

"In a way, we were kinda responsible for that," Frenchy admitted. "When we were choosing the new pink ladies our leader Rizzo had loads of stuff going on. She wasn't interested so once Danny had picked a new leader for the T birds, Rizzo just made his girlfriend pink lady leader."