Chapter 17

Sharon was reapplying her lipstick as the pink ladies got ready for one of their final dress rehearsals.

'Well I hope Steph's coming,' she said trying to keep the anxiety out of her voice. It wasn't unusual for Stephanie to be late but she'd been offhand with them since the race.

'She's barely spoken to me all week,' Rhonda admitted. 'I said hello to her in homeroom today and all I got was a grunt!'

'Well that's more than I've got,' Sharon complained. If Stephanie flaked out now she'd never forgive her.

Paulette pulled a face. 'I don't know what's wrong with her. I mean she's got her own way, she's still a pink lady and Michael's a t bird.'

'That doesn't really matter now, we're graduating in a few weeks,' Sharon pointed out. 'The code won't apply then.'

'And Michael will probably go back to England,' Rhonda added keeping her voice down as Michael came in and took his seat at the piano.

'Yeah, so what was even the point?' Sharon asked twirling her cigarette holder in the air. In truth she didn't care, so long as they played their parts in her act that was all that mattered now.

~~~~

Stephanie came in and took a seat at the piano by Michael. Sharon looked as if she was going to say something but she bit her tongue and took her position on the stage instead.

'I've had it with them, once we graduate that's it,' Steph hissed at Michael.

'Don't you think you're being a bit premature? They're your friends.'

'Are they? Then where were they when Johnny was giving me a hard time, and where were they at Thunder Road? Supporting Johnny!' She understood they had t bird boyfriends but they could have given her a bit of support as well.

'Stephanie if I can put it behind me surely you can?' Michael said, his voice calm.

'Yeah, but you don't go back to year dot with them! I've supported those girls a lot over the years and they just dumped me!' His reasonableness was winding her up all the more.

Michael squeezed her hand. 'Why don't you talk to them, I'd hate you to lose your friends over a misunderstanding.'

Steph nodded, chewing her gum as he started to play. She didn't want to fight with him about it but she wasn't in a forgiving mood as far as her friends went either.

~~~~

'Are you leaving already Steph?' Rhonda asked when their act was finished and she was gathering her belongings together. 'We're all going to the diner once the t birds have finished.'

'Why don't you join us?' Sharon added, and Steph rolled her eyes.

'What's that look for?' Paulette demanded, and Stephanie could hear a new confidence in her voice. Johnny must be working his magic.

'You guys wouldn't have asked me a week ago.' She gave them all a hard look.

'Steph you wouldn't have come a week ago,' Sharon pointed out. 'Since this whole thing blew up you've been ignoring us.'

Stephanie's eyes widened. 'I've been ignoring you?'

The girls nodded. 'Yeah, you have,' Rhonda said. 'Ever since you and Johnny had words you've taken it out on us.'

Steph shook her head. 'No I haven't, I've maybe been a little distant after you all gave me the cold shoulder at Thunder Road, if not before then.'

They all exchanged looks, Paulette and Rhonda's eyes falling on Sharon. 'That's not fair,' Sharon said speaking for them all. 'We were stood on the other side of the road, did you expect us to go running over and get knocked down by the bikes.'

'Stop exaggerating Sharon. You could have come over before or after the race.'

Paulette took a step forward, her hands on her hips. 'You were kinda taken up with your new friends Stephanie.'

'Jeez, so I didn't ride with you, big deal! We don't have to do everything together. I'd have thought after the way I've supported you guys, you'd be a bit more understanding.' They all looked at her blankly.

'Come on,' Steph said impatiently. 'I've been there for you all. Like when you got dumped by Dimucci.' Her eyes fell on Rhonda. 'Or when Johnny was being a jerk to you, Paulette, I looked out for you even though he was my ex.'

Rhonda and Paulette looked down but Sharon gave her a challenging look. 'Well that's your perspective Stephanie,' she said folding her arms. 'But we have ours as well.'

'And what is that?' Steph chewed her gum, trying to act blase.

'Well you haven't been much of a friend to us recently, you've been totally wrapped up in yourself, none of us can even remember when you last called.'

Stephanie's brows furrowed. 'That goes both ways.' However she had distanced herself from them when all they did was talk about their boyfriends, it got so boring.

'Look can't we draw a line under this?' Rhonda pleaded. 'We're gonna graduate soon and here we are carrying on like little kids.' Paulette and Sharon looked at Steph expectantly.

'Ok, I guess,' Steph said. She could see there was fault on both sides, and come graduation they'd probably go their separate ways anyway.

'Oh good,' Paulette said with a smile. 'And now you can tell us all about your gorgeous new boyfriend.'

Steph smiled ruefully, Paulette was probably happy she was off the market. 'Why don't you tell me about you and Johnny?'

'Oh we're going great now,' Paulette gushed while Sharon and Rhonda pulled faces at each other. 'After that night when he found you with Michael it was like the blinkers were finally lifted from his eyes. He couldn't be a better boyfriend to me now.'

'Gee thanks,' Stephanie said with a small laugh.

'You know I didn't mean it like that. But now he's really making an effort, I think he's finally committed.'

'That's great Paulette.' Stephanie hoped that Johnny was finally taking their relationship seriously. If he was she wished them all the best.

'So will you come with us?' Rhonda asked.

'Maybe next time, I think it'd be a bit much for Michael for us all to hang out together so suddenly.' She knew he'd put up with it but she wasn't ready to yet.

'Oh ok,' Sharon said seeing Louis by the door. 'I'll be back in a moment.'

'I can't work them out,' Steph said keen to change the subject. 'I would have put money on her dumping him.'

'Sharon's all talk,' Paulette said, and Rhonda nodded.

'Yeah but he's put her through some shit.' Stephanie was determined to keep well away from the subject of her own relationship.

'I think it goes both ways,' Paulette said. 'Johnny says she leads him on, like really leads him on.' Steph inwardly groaned but told herself not to react, it wasn't her battle, and it wasn't Paulette's either.

'Look I've gotta get back to Michael, I said we'd go get something to eat.' She left them to it, she'd sort of cleared the air so Michael couldn't complain.

'Are you ready to go?' she asked him. He was stood talking to Dolores, and they both turned around, Michael smiling and Dolores scowling.

'Yeah, I'm all set.' He said goodbye to Dolores and Stephanie linked her arm through his as they walked out off the hall. 'Actually, there's something I need to discuss with you.'

Stephanie stopped, taken aback by his serious tone. 'What is it?'

'Oh, it's nothing serious. Let's get something to eat and I'll fill you in.' He smiled but Steph suddenly felt apprehensive, what could he have to say that hadn't already been said?

~~~~~