Chapter 26 (picture of Selene)

‘Hey, eyes to yourself,’ Jace snaps, and not for the first time either, starting to get agitated again as Nick, aka Mr Smiley, came back after I tried on my fourth dress.

‘Jace,’ I muttered, head tilted as I watched my reflexion carefully, also noting Jace’s glare toward a staring Nick. Stepping away from the mirror I fall back into a couch and into its comfort of cushions, away from staring eyes and away from the light.

‘Don’t like it?’ Nick guesses first since Jace was too busy glaring at him.

I nodded, a small smile at my lips. ‘Sorry.’

Finally Jace turns his eyes to me, his look softening before turning pensive, both boys now quiet as they thought of a colour for me.

Oh, I got it!’ Nick practically squeals causing me to flinch at the same time as Jace does. I could see Jace wanted to comment on such girly tone but Nick was gone before any of us could say a thing.

‘One more dress and I’ll be turning up in my birthday suit,’ I joked causing Jace to laugh and come forward, sitting beside me so close out bodies touched and almost making mine roll on top of him from the sudden dip of movement.

‘I wouldn’t mind,’ he winks playfully causing the assault of a blush to attack. Yet again. ‘Look on the bright side. At least you don’t have to take this long to pick out shoes,’ Jace mutters, putting a comforting and protective arm around me causing my body to move closer to his by instinct as my head rested at the crook of his neck.

I sighed, ‘and this is why I hate shopping,’ I muttered thinking about Nick’s stares and feeling as if something was… off.

And then I realised what it was and I couldn’t help but giggle a little.

‘What?’ Jace smiles as moved a bit so he could look down at me.

I sit up and away from him, ‘nothing, it’s just… loosen up on Nick okay?’

Jace frowns but says nothing else as the second I stood up and cut him off Nick comes bounding in with the most beautiful dress I’ve ever seen.

‘So tell me again why I had to “loosen up” with Nick?’ Jace asks the second we stepped out of the shop, dress bag in hand, and on the way to (inward sigh) a shoe shop.

I laughed again, causing my bag to almost slip from my hold and for Jace to quickly take it off me, a questioning look on his face as he watched me amusedly.

‘Jace, he’s gay.’ I said blushing as I realised my own man was holding a big pink bag without a care even though I could’ve held it myself.

‘Pwhoa… I was… not expecting that.’ Jace muttered, eyebrows up as he stared at me as if wondering if I was lying. ‘A-are you sure?’ he asked.

I gave a smile, feeling my body loosen up for once in my life as we walked around hand in hand. ‘Of course I’m sure. Why else would he work in a girls dress shop?’

‘To perv.’ Jace deadpanned.

‘That squeal?’

‘H-he was happy?’ I cocked up a brow at him. ‘Fine. But what about his staring when you came out in a different dress?’

This time I sighed and actually rolled my eyes at him. ‘Jace. He’s gay. He actually was wondering if it looked good on me or whatever,’ I wrinkled my nose, ‘he wasn’t perving.

‘Oh,’ he muttered finally bringing me into a shop, which, when I looked around was just as expensive looking as the dress store he took me in, only this one was for shoes.