Chapter 12 (picture of Claire)

PICTURE OF CLAIRE ON THE SIDE :)))

DON'T FOGET TO VOTE >

thanks ily.<33

_________________________________________________________________________

'I-' but I was cut off before I could say another thing as my phone suddenly goes off, causing me to jump back from the sudden noise and ripping away from Jace's warm embrace.  Ripping away from the moment and what I was about to say. What was I about to say?

~~~

My eyes widen and I fumble for the phone in my pocket, hands suddenly trembling as I fished it out and found Mack's number flashing at me. I press call.

'Claire, put him on,' Mack says straight away, his voice stern that I felt queasy at the thought of them two talking... but then again...

I handed Jace the phone and he gave me a curious look before pressing the device against his ear.

'Hell-' Jace flinches and I find myself flinch too as he pulled the phone from his ear for a moment, Mack no doubt shouting.

'Yes. Yeah. She's fine. Of course-' he rolls his eyes and I watched him curiously, wondering what Mack was saying on the other line.  ‘Mhmm. K. Bye.’

Finally he hangs up with a small scowl but when his eyes meet mine again he smiles that soft smile of his before tilting his head at the lone car. 'Come on, we should go before your…’ he didn't know what Mack was to me so he frowned and said: 'friend… bites my head off.'

I nodded, biting back a smile before noticing how cold I really was. Holy cow, how long was I on this mountain for?

I shivered and quickly made my way to the car, Jace right beside me who, for once, said nothing.

I studied Jace's car and couldn't help the way my mouth dropped open because as much as I didn't know a thing about cars or what was expensive or new or not... boy did this look expensive and new! I looked over at Jace incredulously as he opened the passenger door for me.

'I saved up,' he shrugs shyly.

I looked from the plush, warm looking seat, to him, and then back again.

Oh god, what if I touch something? What if I break something or dirty something?

At the sight of something so new I remembered the day when my father had bought a new car, although second hand it was still new, and when I got inside it I accidently dropped my ice cream on the seat. What did I get? A cut lip, a bruised eyes, a shove to the ground and a kick in the stomach.

I was 9.

I swallowed and unconsciously stepped away from the open door, arms wrapping around myself and eyes flicking back up to Jace's when I catch him frown. 'What's wrong?' he asks watching me carefully.

How could I explain? Was there even something wrong?

This is Jace were talking about, he wouldn't… hurt me… would he?

'I'm only taking you home Angel. I won't hurt you,' he says quietly as if he read my mind.

I looked from him to the car, any trace of its warmth from before long gone. Before finally and eventually slipping into the seat, back straight and not touching a thing. Before I knew it my door was shut and Jace was in his seat, reaching over me to grab something. At his sudden closeness I couldn’t help the way I flinched and cowered into the seat, as if I could somehow shrink into the seat and vanish.