Chapter 3

‘You okay?’ he asks again tilting his head a little and shoving his hands in his pocket. Wow, he was... gorgeous.

Despite everything I still lay there, my jeans soaking and making me shiver as I still watched him through unblinking eyes, jaw clenched to stop the chattering.

‘I'm new around here by the way, I thought I'd go for a scroll and kinda got lost,’ he says with a laugh, eyes twinkling down at me.

Why is he still talking to me? Any other normal person would've left by now. Thinking I was some crazy weirdo that lived on the street.

‘I was wondering if you could help me find my way home. Well, that and plus I thought you were dead,’ he says tilting his head to scrutinize me yet again.

I sit up as I feel heat rise to my cheeks for the first time in years before looking down at my purple fingers so my hair covered my cheeks, ‘you don't talk much do you?’ he asks with a small chuckle lending out a hand in front of me. ‘Aren't you cold? I mean you’re sitting in snow wearing just jeans and hoodie for all I know.’

I shake my head. My first response to someone in a very long time.

I look up to find him smiling, a smile that seemed contagious and made me want to smile but I forced it down and kept my face neutral.

‘C'mon, if you’re not gonna talk to me, at least stand up and get your bum out of the freezing cold snow, pleeeaaassee?’ he asks sweetly lending out a hand yet again.

I look at his hand as if it was foreign but he never pulled it back or away.

No one ever helps me get up when I fall or when I'm on the floor. No one even talks to me let alone take a long look. Why is he?

I got up myself and frowned when I realised my pants were only soaking wet at the back as well as the back of my hoodie. He laughs and seems to know what I was thinking before nodding into the forest beside us, ‘c'mon, we can walk through there if you want?’ he suggests turning his gaze back to me as I stared up at him as he was a whole head taller than me. I stared at him suspiciously, almost scared of what he'd do. He seems nice but I never ever walked near a guy or man alone, let alone talked to one... well he was talking to me, but y'know.

I never even stayed near one, at all, but this guy seemed… different.

He flashes me an assuring smile but I step back and look out to the woods. Scared but curious and wondering how long it’ll take for him to turn his back on me and finally realise I'm just some worthless piece of crap.

Could I trust him?

No. There's no such thing as trust.

The two most important people walked out on me and turned their backs when I needed them most. Where do I end up? With a good for nothing bastard that bashes and abuses me without a care.