Chapter 20 (picture of Claire's father)

okay, so anyone seen Fright Night? that's where Colin Farrel comes from :pp ---->
scary looking? sorta! alright looking? yessss. :P

__________________________________________________________

A month went by without my knowing. And still, no matter what happened and no matter how many places Mack took me to and how many people I was forced to talk to, I felt as if I was frozen in time… waiting for something to happen… for someone. It felt like a part of me was ripped away leaving me feeling worse than I had when I found out my mother had abandoned me.

I didn’t even realise Christmas had come and go…

‘Claire? … Claire!’ I blink and suddenly find Mack sitting back beside me again, the same rumble beneath me showing that we were still in the air.

I jerk with surprise.

‘You okay?’ he asks concern lining his face like a second nature around me.

I look out the window, staring at the vast and endless untouchable white clouds beneath the jet we sat safely in.

‘Yeah… I'm fine,’ I said feebly looking back as Mack settled into the big plush seat of First Class.

He sipped on a flute of wine, face pensive. ‘Did you like New York?’ he asks.

I leant back on the seat that was almost triple my own size, the whole thing almost swallowing me up. Mack chuckles as he cast me a look.

I smiled and thought about what he said. New York. About a two hour flight from where we lived.

‘I kept my promise didn’t I? To stay in the country,’ he grinned cheekily, setting down the flute onto a part of the arm of the seat, and with a weird suction noise the flute was suddenly gone, the arm rest looking as if nothing had ever been there.

I smiled and looked up at the ceiling, remembering the first week of the holiday.

‘Let’s go somewhere!’ Mack moans bored out of his mind as he comes out of nowhere and face-plants my bed.

My lip twitches, ‘like where?’ I asked mildly curious as my eyes find their own way to stare at his back, at the perfect familiar curve.

‘Anywhere! Anywhere my little grommet wants!’ he exclaims into my blankets, voice muffled until he said grommet to turn and grin at me teasingly.

I poke him on the side and he squirms away, ‘maybe,’ I mumbled with a small smile before shifting my legs underneath me and pushing my school book away. ‘But not out of the country… not yet.’

‘I promise!’ he grinned.

The day following that, after I had gone out to get a coffee and some time alone, I come back in only to find chaos in my room. I gasped. Eyes wide. And in the midst of it all stood Mack him very self, a giant, mischievous grin on his face. ‘We’re leaving for Christmas!’ he had said and just the look on his face made me stand there frozen.

What exactly had I promised to?

‘Claire?’

‘Yeah,’ I said snapping out of my reverie. ‘Yeah. Of course I liked New York.’ I said smiling slightly as my eyes found their way to his staring face. New York was beautiful. It was amazing.

He pushes his chair back so he was laying down as well, our faces close.

I blinked.

He touches my face and rolls over so he had pulled me into a one armed hug an arm wrapped around my small waist as he let me lean my forehead on his chest. ‘He’ll come back B, he will.’ Mack said quietly as he tangled his fingers in my hair lightly, chin at the top of my head.