Chapter 29

YAY. okay so THIS is the second last chapter considering the last one wasn't much of a chapter! But hey, here you go, hope it's okay! xoxo

:')

________________________________________

Jace’s P.O.V

There was a continuous beeping when I woke up, and immediately I wanted to shut it off, it was annoying. I didn’t remember much when I awoke, but I do remember the bed shifting slightly, the light touch on my forehead as a small hand brushed back my hair.

Opening my eyes was a little easier said than done. Much easier.

‘I’m sorry Jace, I’m so, so sorry,’ a voice whispered over and over, soft and quiet; scared.

The sadness in the tone was enough motivation for me to open my eyes, blinking a few times when I heard a gasp and the bed shift even more. I groaned when the bed dips and I slid a little onto my right side, throbbing pains starting up in places I never knew could hurt so much.

I guess it was all worth it when I saw my future wife hovering over me, her eyes wide and a lighter type of blue, so deep and beautiful you could drown in them happily, the light behind her making her blonde hair look more of a halo as it rested around her, the word Angel coming into mind and fitting her perfectly even though she frowned down at me. Even though she had a round swelling bruise around her left eye.

‘You’re awake,’ she smiles brightly as she jerked forward as if to hug me before stopping herself short with another frown, thin eyebrows pulling together as a shadow of a crease came up between her brows.

‘I’m fine,’ I croaked out only to wince after failing to get up, teeth gritting to stop a scream from ripping through my lips as I finally notice all the bandaging, needles and beeping in and around me.

‘You aren’t,’ she points out eyeing me warily and brushing my hair back from my eyes yet again, lips pulled into a slight pout before she sunk her teeth into her bottom lip and let her hand fall back onto her lap.

‘I am. Now that you’re here anyway,’ I offered a smile as I reached for her hand, voice still croaky as if I’ve had a slumber for ten years or something with no use of vocal chords. For a long moment she just stared at me, through me, as if she could see my soul, and looking at her now you can just see the pain behind those clear blue eyes, the blankness that she once had that had scared me to death when I first met her.

I could still see it sometimes; the resigned looks she always tried to hide from me, the ugly thoughts of the future that she was now so afraid of. But mostly it’s just pushed back, I wish I could say it was all thanks to me, but I guess it was mostly herself and Mack– herself because she finally stood up to that bastard of a father and Mack because he was the one who first took her away from that so called house.

And that reminded me…

‘Angel?’ I whispered blinking and realising we had been sitting there in our own little world and zoned off staring at each other. If only I knew what was running through that pretty little head of hers.

‘Hmm?’ she mumbles, coming back to earth with her usual blink and slightly dazed stare.

‘What… what happened?’ I mumbled a little sheepishly, after all, the last thing I remembered was opening the door, seeing a slightly familiar face, something hard coming down on me almost straight away and then feeling nothing. Nothing at all.

Claire’s face darkens slightly and the frown deepens, causing me to lift up a hand to touch her forehead before running my fingers over parts of her face; smoothing down her frown and earning a blank look. ‘He… came. Knocked you out before you could realise and started bashing you. With a baton. And then his fists after I took it away from him. He hit me-’ I opened my mouth in rage but she cuts me off immediately, ‘but I’m fine, you suffered the most.’ She touches my cheek and I realise she was staring at a bruise with the way her eyes softened ruefully.