Chapter 4

picture on the side is claire c:

________________________________________________________

Previously: ‘Hungry I see. Didn't you eat today?’ he asks glancing at me.

I shook my head and pulled my head out of the jacket to sneak a look at him.

Almost five days now by the way. But of course I'd never tell you that.

‘C'mon, let’s go to my house, I remember how to get there now that I see these streets.’

~~~

My brow furrows and I watch his excited face but for some reason I no longer felt scared, I just felt... curious. I tilt my head and watched him through new eyes, wondering when he’d finally give up on me. It seems though that he won’t, especially with the way he looks at me and talks to me as if I'm actually a person. It scares me as this was all so new to me: the niceness, the care and gentleness; the smiles.

He steps forward with a smile on his face, hand out stretched as if to hold my hand and bring me somewhere. I step back thinking he was going to do something else before watching him frown.

I blink. Then look at the floor embarrassed.

‘You don't trust me, do you?’ he asks, surprisingly not offended but sounding curious; patient.

I look up again and hold his gaze, quiet for moment, lips pressed tight before shrugging slightly. He chuckles and it makes me feel warm inside as he steps cautiously toward me, ‘I’ll take that as a no?’ he asks. I blush and don't move as he inches closer so he was only a meter away from me, the closest and longest moment I’ve ever been near a guy like this.

‘Miss I-don't-know-your-name, please, don't ever think I’d hurt you. From this day forward I make a vow to never, ever lay a finger on you or harm you in anyway. I promise. I would never hurt you or any girl – never have, never will… Do you believe me?’ he asks his voice shifting with the wind as I suddenly find him right in front of me, his body heat radiating off him and his warm breath on my face.

I stared up into his sparkling sincere, green eyes and I felt as if I were floating. I wanted to tell him how I felt. I wanted to tell him how fast my heart was beating right now and how my hand and body urged and yearned to touch him. I wanted to tell him what I've been through even though there was nothing he could do. I wanted to say something, to him of all people – this stranger that made me feel this way. I opened my mouth and went to say something when I remembered the reason why I shut out my voice so long ago. The reason why I chose to throw away a part of me and sit myself deep, deep into neutral.

I snapped it shut and as I closed my eyes I felt my head unconsciously lean against his chest. I could feel his fast beating heart, his warmness seeping into me just by the slightest touch of my forehead against him, and I soon feel a light, unsure hand lay on my bicep.

‘You’re nothing like what I’ve heard from people y’know, the rumours told and spread by idiots. You’re the complete opposite if you ask me.’ He says softly, I look back up again and shiver as his warmness leaves the small parts of us touching, shivering as a small wind whistled past us as if wanting us close again.

He smiles. I blink. What do they say about me? And again, why is he so nice to me? What does he see in a lonely, forgotten, useless girl like me? Jeez I'm not even pretty or anywhere near it.

‘C’mon, it’s getting cold. Please come to my house, I’ll make you dinner or something now that it’s…’ he checks his phone, ‘5:30. It’s all I can do after you helped me get back home.’