Thirty - At Night The Rats Come Out

Okay, I might have overreacted.

But, be honest, can you blame me? He just- Jungkook just- He- Hng-- ARGH

I kicked a rusty trash can on the side of the pavement, metallic sound hollering through the dead silence of an alley, painted in the darkness of dusk.

Jungkook was so very much not aware about what he was doing to my already frazzled mind and it was driving me nuts. It was like his brain was just telling him to- do these kinda things and he simply went for it. No hesitance, no second guessing.

I wasn't sure wether I was mad or just jealous.

"This is ridiculous." I said out loud, into the void of the alley around me, "I'm in the middle of a godforsaken apocalypse and have to stress about a boy licking chocolate off my lips." - both things were similarly unlikely to happen pre-apocalypse, I might wanna add.

A cool breeze shook through my body and I wrapped my arms around my form, cursing myself for underestimating the evening temperatures like that.

On top of all things did I still have that problem with the refugee - I somehow had to find a way to bring it up, without having either of us ending up upset. Again, Jungkook would detest the idea of going to the refugee. Society is like, the last thing this man would like to partake in.

My fingers curled into the thin fabric of my T-Shirt on either sides of my chest, scowl deepening each second I spent alone, thinking about the conflicting emotions surrounding Jeju Island and the possible refugee there. I mean, could Jungkook even live there? What if someone knew about him? Would he even know how to interact with the people there?

I was so deep in thought, so out of it, that I missed the trash can I'd kicked earlier rolling back in my direction, stopping a few meters behind me.

My dumb ass also missed the giant, thin spider-like legs following me slowly, hesitantly.

That is until one of them pierced into the ground behind me, bone-chilling crunch snapping me out of my thinking.

My head shot up, eyes slowly drifting toward the smooth, ink black leg that stretched out from the darkness, soon followed by a second one- and then a third and fourth.

My entire body froze when I stood face to face with the giant, skinny prowler that was crawling spider-like on four long legs towards me, narrow alley giving neither of us much space to move.

Behind and in front of us there was nothing but darkness, the vague face traits of the creature impossible to make out. I could only see it cocking its head to the side owlishly.

"Shoot." I whispered, before turning around and sprinting down the street, muscles aching in the painful pace I took in.

The moment I turned, had the prowler gotten into motion too, long limbs piercing into ground and walls as it squeezed itself through the narrow space to follow me.

It's odd gurgling and hissing indicated me how close it was while I ran forward steadily, alley spewing me out into a larger street. I turned around the corner, hearing how the clumsy creature smashed into the wall in front of the alley's exit, missing the turn and giving me some time ahead.

I mean, this shouldn't have been as surprising. I was prepared to meet prowlers, I was prepared to run. But this? What kind of abominations are running around the streets lately?

My lungs burned from running through the cold air, heart erratic while I tried to think of where I came from - if only I were close enough to our hide-out, Jungkook would surely notice the enormous monster (this man has goddamn night vision, remember?).

That thought immediately slipped my mind when one of the long limbs jammed into my back while I was running, knocking me into the next wall and the air right out of my lungs.

"AGHH-"

The impact sent my head flying against the bricks, stars dancing in front of my eyes while I felt the skinny limb press into my back stronger each second the prowler came closer.

It was so close I felt reminded of the time the smaller prowler had attacked me in the bathroom, back when Jungkook came too late and I had to kill it by myself.

God, please don't let this be the same-

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for whatever the prowler was about to do to me, but instead of my head being bitten off was the only thing I felt a slimy, limp leg slumping against my body. Detached from it's original owner.

With great effort I turned my head, spotting nothing but darkness and a few dots of light, illuminated by the moon.

The huge prowler was covering away, both front limbs detached.

When in hell-?

Then I saw him- he moved so quick and quietly, if I wouldn't have known that he was there, I wouldn't have been able to spot Jungkook. Third leg, fourth leg and bam the monster was laying on the ground, split by the scythe of the even bigger monster.

My head still hurt, eyes trying to focus on the corpse laying in front of me while I was still merely slumped against the house wall.

"You gonna move or did you actually wanna be prowler chow?" Jungkook startled me when he appeared next to me, hand stretched out with a grin I could only describe as mocking.

I stayed silent, a little too busy with concentrating on making my sight less blurry.

"Chickie?" He cocked his head to the side, "You good? You hurt or anything?"

 I was, definitely, but that didn't seem to be the main issue to my by now deep-fried brain.

I opened my mouth a few times, like a fish, Jungkook's arms sneaking around my stumbling form carefully, grin a mix between worried and amused at my pathetic attempts of standing straight.

"Hm?" He lifted his brows, head still laid to the side.

"There'sarefugeeonJejusisland." I babbled quickly, "Namjoon told me. I- I told him I'd meet him there."

He removed his arms around me as if he'd been burned, grin faltering, "Oh."

M-hm. Oh.

___

y'all tomorrow I'm finally gonna be done with exams

this dragged on for so long cuz of stupid virus

xx