Thirty Nine - And They Said Romance Is Dead

Technically, it had been nothing but a hunch. Like a seventh sense that made Jungkook go 'oops Y/N's in danger'. And, well, he'd never been one to question his irrational hunches - he usually just acted up on them.

And for once in his life, it was a good thing to do so. At least going by the sight that opened itself for Jungkook upon entering the library.

What?

Something family came back to life within him.

"Go to hell." She had hissed. Her voice hadn't sounded exactly scared, as one might assume in this situation - no, she sounded angry. And he'd never heard her speak like that to anyone.

Jungkook had made up his mind about what to do with these pathetic fucks the moment his eyes had taken in the scene, but the words of the dumbfuck who was wagging his dick in front of her face really tipped him over the edge.

"Right now imma be in heaven, doll."

None of us are going to heaven, dickhead.

Albeit the anger he felt somewhere inside him, did it not really feel special when his scythe sliced through the hand of that guy, neither felt he much moved when he cut off his head clean.

I mean, does it feel special when you brush your teeth in the morning? Not really, right? You've done this everyday, every morning of your life after all.

For him it was the same with killing this man.

The other men, he just killed out of spite. Seeing them glare at him angrily, as if they had any right to, made him furious.

With ease he disarmed that third guy and used blunt force to smash his head in, trained fingers pulling his weapon out of the first guy's body, blood flying everywhere as he moved onto the rest.

The pretty books of the library got tainted by hot, red liquid, no sounds around once there were six corpses surrounding Jungkook.

Satisfied, he rammed the hilt of his scythe into one of the bodies, fog in his head clearing once there weren't any objectives left. He knew that feeling from prior jobs.

Wait. No sounds around?

"J-Jungkook?"

Realization hit him and his head whipped around, eyes seeking for the girl cowering underneath one of the wooden tables. Her eyes were wide as they stared up at him.

"Y/N!" He walked towards her, stopping immediately when he realized that he was covered in blood - someone else's blood.

To someone like her, this sure must've been a terrifying sight.

Hesitantly, he crouched down, about two meters away from her, trying to school his expression into a calm one, praying to whatever god there was that she wasn't scared of him, "Chickie? You can come out now. S' all over."

She stared at him for a moment, before her shoulders slumped and she exhaled heavily, as if she'd been holding her breath for an eternity, "I almost forgot that you're-- you know what."

"A murderer?" Jungkook helped out, no real guilt behind his voice. These guys deserved to die after all.

"Well..." Her eyes roamed over the field of dead bodies. Jungkook noticed too late how she was shaking, only able to lunge forward and hold her hair away when she threw up.

"Ch-Chibi- are you okay?"

She grunted, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, "Yeah, don't worry. I'm just not used to- to this." They were really close now, Jungkook's hand still resting on her shoulder where he was holding away her hair, "Thank you, Kook."

He blinked, hand retreating surprised, "Huh?" He didn't expect a thank you.

"I really thought I was about to get raped." She giggled, "Almost forgot you're watching over me."

Watching over me.

His heart dropped and he sighed out relieved, "So you don't hate me?"

"I knew-" She waved into the direction of the massacre behind them, "-about all of this already. And I'll be honest, I'd rather it's them than me."

"Y-Yeah. I just thought... Aren't you scared?"

"Of what?" She cocked a brow, still pretty pale despite her brave words, "Me you won't hurt, don't you think I know that?"

Jungkook breathed out laughing, "Damn right." He forgot about the blood sticking everywhere to him when he leaned forward to hug her, holding her as tight and close as possible. He knew she was shocked after everything, even though she tried really hard to stay composed.

Like she said, she almost got raped and then had to witness this bloodbath stupid, impulsive Jungkook created. She had all right to be shaking, crying and throwing up.

After a few seconds passed, and Jungkook thought she was okay by her own, he let go, leaning away to look at her face.

Her eyes got stuck on the corpses again, crest forming between her eyebrows, "We can't stay here after this happened."

He bit his lip, "I'm sorry."

She chuckled, getting up from under the table while wiping the dust off her knees, "I was tired of being scooped up in this hotel anyways. I guess habits from over a year can't be changed."

Jungkook jumped up, heart beat increasing at her words, "Does that mean you wanna go travel 'round again?"

She gave him a crooked smile, "What else are we supposed to do? They won't let the strangers who murdered six of their habitants stick around."

Jungkook hummed, absentmindedly kicking against the single head laying around, "They're bound to find this shit here soon."

"We should hurry." She agreed.

He couldn't bite back a grin anymore, "I can't believe we'll be back on the road."

"Don't be stupid." She flicked his head, endearingly having to get on her tippy toes for that, " I don't just wanna run around aimlessly again. I've been thinking about this, okay? I even talked about it with Namjoon."

He rubbed his head with a frown, "What?"

"I wanna know what happened to the rest of the world, Kook. Wether the same happened in other continents. And..." She looked out of the window, "I really wanna know why this all happened. What are prowlers? And why is the rain acidic? Why did only few people transform?"

He looked at her astonished, feeling unearthed by her words. The whole time during which he'd been worrying about not getting along with the other guest's here, had dwelled in his newfound mushy feelings for her or had dreamed of being back on the road with her, she had been putting so much thought into getting away from here as well. But unlike him it wasn't just a brain-dead wish for adventure. She had a plan. A goal.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He ignored the blood on his skin when he took her hand, locking eyes with her, who grinned sheepishly.

"It was nothing but fruitless philosophizing. I'm a curious person, you know? And so is Namjoon." She shrugged, "But we were so safe in here, it's a scary step to make the decision of actually leaving, especially after meeting my sister again. And well- you kinda just made this decision a lot easier." She took his other hand in hers, "Are you... are you okay with that? Traveling to other continents together and... I mean, who knows what we will find?"

He smiled, "That's possibly the most romantic thing you've said to me so far, Chickie. Why in hell would I say no?"

___

I'm sorry for taking to long all I did this week was playing genshin impact lmao

xx