Thirty Five - Takes A Weirdo To Know One

"Ready?" She looked at him - giddy, determined as always.

Jungkook grinned, "Always." He lifted the heavy chain-link fence with the flat side of his scythe, helping her dip underneath, as a final step into Lotte Hotel - and possibly the refugee.

The whole area was overgrown with this dry dune grass that grew everywhere on the island, just as abandoned as every other building in this new world. It was eerily quiet all around, something one isn't quite used to when walking down the empty pools that once served as playground for thousands of visitors. Dry palm trees, dusty bars and brittle water slides marked the terrain that was surrounded by old, once white hotel buildings.

"I can't see anyone." Y/N whispered what both of them had been thinking for a while now.

Fucking amazing, really. Jungkook didn't know if he'd be happy or angry if the whole thing ended up being a lie.

He shouldered his scythe, turning around on his heels, "Alright, guess imma have to find Yoongi."

She grabbed him by the collar before he could get out of reach, making Jungkook stumble back into her, "Not so fast, young man." She nodded at the empty pools, "Look."

He looked.

"They're empty."

"They are."

"So?"

"Why are they empty?"

"We were in the middle of a bloody pandemic, of course the hotel wasn't open." He crossed his arms in front of his chest, internally smiling because she was doing the thing again. The thing where she was thinking. He wanted to really, really kiss her.

"No, no, there was this thing I read about, how water parks keep the water inside their pools while they're closed to protect the pool walls." She walked closer to the edge of one of the pools, "But after such a long time the whole place must've reeked liked shit- someone must've let the water out."

"So you take this as a proof that there are, or were, actually people 'round?"

"They must've at least stayed long enough to feel bothered by the water and figure out how to let it out." She shrugged eventually, starting to move in direction of the giant hotel building, "Maybe there're people inside?"

Jungkook had, as expected, never had much to do with hotels - that is, he had been in hotels before, but not to stay over night but to kill guests. So it might not come as a surprise that he felt all kinds of misplaced when entering the fancy reception, Y/N leading the way.

"It makes sense that there's a refugee here." She rambled on while climbing the stairs to the first floor, "There's a lot of room and beds, and - like you said - the hotel was most likely closed when the prowlers started appearing, hence why there are so little prowlers here."

Jungkook hummed, only half listening, because his attention had quickly switched to the set of sounds coming from upstairs. Foot steps, voices, creaking of doors opening and closing.

"There are people here." He stated eventually, cutting through her flow of words.

She stopped a few steps above him, looking at him weirdly. He pointed at his ears with a small grin, making her roll her eyes and mumble something about "damn super human senses" and "fucking cyborg ass freak".

The first person they met was quite an experience - an old, bearded man who looked like he was straight out of an Indiana Jones film tumbling into their direction, clearly drunk.

He looked just as misplaced as Jungkook felt in the fancy hotel corridor, tired eyes hefted onto the floor while mumbling something to himself.

Jungkook had the bad luck of being the one ahead, so when the man reached them he took the full brunt of the man's death glare and - for some fucking reason - hissing, making Jungkook lean away bewildered.