Chapter 5 - Security

Back at their apartment the girls return to their respective rooms. Victoria still smelled the faint stench of urine, so she sprayed more Lysol on her mattress before closing the door. She folded her laundry on the couch of their living room in the meantime. Steph came out shortly and noticed Victoria on the couch.

"Room's too cold?" Steph asked. 

"No... it's um.. not dry yet."

"I guess it was a pretty big load, but why are you folding them? We can hang it out to dry?" 

"No the laundry is fine it's..."

"OH" Steph realized what Victoria was referring to her sodden mattress and not the laundry.

"What do you wanna eat? I can warm up some leftovers or we can go out?" Steph asks to cut through the silence. 

"I'm okay with leftovers. I'll put on The Office? what episode were you on?"

"Yes please! You are THE best Vicky. Um I think I just finished season 4? My Netflix account should have whatever episode I finished last night."

Steph opted for some leftover butternut squash soup and garlic bread instead of the tupperwares full of spaghetti from their weekly meal prep. She knew Victoria always loved Butternut squash soup and after today, she needed some comfort food. 

-----

After several episodes Victoria got up to put wash and put away the dishes before going back to her room to check on the status of her mattress. A quick pat of her mattress was all she needed to know she shouldn't sleep on it tonight. She comes back to the living room and sat next to Steph.

Victoria glanced at Steph and was thankful for someone who accepted her so unconditionally. 

"Is your mattress okay?" Steph asked.

"MMM... not really I'll sleep on the couch tonight" 

"Why don't you share my bed tonight? It's a full size... we can both easily fit tonight. Just promise me you won't snore." Steph says s she rises an eyebrow and smirks. 

"Shut up, I don't snore!... I think" she chimes back. "but it's okay I'll stay on the couch."

"No, I mean it, it's okay. This couch is old and you probably won't sleep well. even if you snore it's okay"

"No it's not that. I'm worried I might... wet the bed again tonight" 

"Oh... I guess the couch cushion is easier to clean than a whole mattress" 

"No, I wasn't thinking that, I was gonna- I was gonna wear some...." Vic's voice began to trail off at the end. 

"Sorry?" Steph asks as she couldn't quite catch the mumble.

"I was gonna wear some protection." 

"Oh, did you need to get some? I'll go with you. you don't have to go alone if you don't want to."

"No I still have a pack of Goodnites stashed away from a long time ago."

"Oh, okay... well I'm still oaky with that."

"No, it's embarrassing..." 

"well I won't push it, but I'm more than okay with it okay."

-----------------

After several more episodes, Victoria began feeling the fatigue of her emotional day. Not wanting to fall asleep without protection she snuck into her room and dug out the box in the back of her closet. 

Unwrapping the package she pulls out a pair of XL Goodnites, feeling the familiar garment and the years of torment that came with it. She took off her shorts and panties and slid up the Goodnite before opting to wear her panties and shorts over it to hide the bulk. She knew from experience that wearing panties over them would muffle the crinkling.