Chapter 10 - Sweater Weather

After Steph concluded her summary of events the two continued to study while waiting for their laundry. Having downed their second cans of bubbly the two took turns using the washroom, Victoria more often than Steph. After returning from her third trip a buzz came from Rick's machine. 

"Oh I should let him know his stuff is ready to move." Steph says taking out her phone.

"No it's okay I'll do it." Victoria says excitedly. "There's no need for him to waste so much time with elevators being as bad as they are."

"Okay... but watch out for the bleach, and make sure you wipe the machine." Steph cautions her. 

"True." Victoria removes her hoody to avoid getting any bleach on her sleeves while she moves his shirts to the dryer. She grabs some paper towels reaches in the washer to wipe up any potential remains of bleach. At her 5'2 stature, she had difficulty reaching deeper, but determined to do things right, she lifts herself off her feet and leans into the machine balancing her body on her waist against the edge on the machine. "What setting should I dry the shirts with?" She voice echoes out of the machine and into Steph's ears.  

"Not sure, I'll text him." She picks up her phone to text when she notices Victoria's amusing position. She takes a photo of Victoria, butt in the air, feet dangling off the ground, her upper half missing from view. 

She send the photo to Rick with the caption. "She insists on doing it for you. :p What dryer setting do you use?" 

While waiting for his response Steph looks at Victoria as she wiggles and moves her legs to maintain balance. Steph was mesmerized by the odd combination of tenacity, and silliness on display. Feeling left out of the fun she sneaks towards Victoria and grabs her legs to help her balance. 

She couldn't help feeling silly standing there holding her much shorter roommate while she cleans a washing machine, but she had much more fun being a part of it with her than she did watching from a distance. 

Her phone buzzes and she saw the text from Rick. She smirks as she read his attempt at a witty response and decides to withhold that part of the text. "He says thanks and it's just tumble dry hot. Oh, and no dryer sheet. Company policy about fragrance allergies."

"NNGGHHHH okay!" Victoria grunts as she continues to wipe the machine. "Can you load it? I'll finish this soon."

"Sure" Steph loads the dryer and looks at Victoria as she continues doing her thing. "So... what do you think about Rick?" 

"What? Why?"

"Just wondering." Steph says coyly. "You barely know the guy and you got half of your body in a washing machine for him." 

"Well, he really helped me out the other day so I want to return the favour. He's a nice guy and you said he's making food for Jason and the elevators suck right now and he has work later. I just wanna do something nice." 

"I see..." Steph said noting the nervousness in the longwinded response. 

"Why?"

"Oh nothing."

"STEPH, WHY?" 

"It's nothing" She answers in a sing song voice. 

Clearly knowing why Steph asked such question Victoria was glad she face was hidden in the washing machine. Wanting to drop the subject she stopped to let the conversation die. 

Once she finished her task, the dryer holding their laundry buzzed. Feeling quite tired of the laundry room for the week, they unloaded their dryer, packed up and promptly made their way back to their apartment.