Chapter 27 - Success

Steph and Jason were plating the food on the table while Rick was finishing up the last round of breakfast sausages on the pan. Jordin walked towards her two friends who were seated at the table. 

"Victoria, I think you've met Jess, and this is Alex." The three shook hands after a short exchange of greetings. 

They started on some small talk about their fields of study and their campuses while the food and remaining company migrated to the table. It was a little cramped as they had never expected to seat more than 6 people on their table.

The conversations continued over food and they all got to know each other a little better. Alex stood up to excuse herself to the washroom, but when she came back she had an odd smile on her face, almost mischievous. She leaned over to Jordin and showed her a photo on her phone.

Jordin's eyes opened wide and she cast a quick glance towards Victoria.

Victoria's eyes nearly popped out of her head when she realized she never emptied the washroom garbage, and that the rolled up Goodnite just sat on the top of the washroom garbage without any cover.

Jordin whispered to Alex "stop, it's not funny. Delete it." Their interaction and whispers we're slowly drawing the attention of others around the table. When they realized that all eyes were on them they stopped.

"What's up? Everything okay?" Jason asked oblivious of any context.

"I... Saw something in the trash, and was wondering who- err what it was." Alex said turning her phone to the table. On the screen was the rolled up Goodnite with obvious signs of having been used.

"I'm so sorry! It's mine!" Steph shouted immediately. "I- I have nighttime issues."

Everyone around the table was surprised at the confession, especially Victoria.

"Oh..." Alex mumbled. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you... I didn't- I- I'll delete the picture." Alex proceeded to delete the photo. Embarrassed at her own actions and obvious malicious intent.

"It's okay." Victoria spoke up. She turned to Steph. "It's okay. You don't have to cover for me. Alex, it's mine... and I'm sorry you had to see it. I'll do a better job of disposing it next time. I didn't mean to gross you out."

Everyone was silent, but this time in awkwardness instead of shock. 

"I still wet the bed..."Victoria continued. "Not always, just sometimes... but  I-I've come to terms with it."

"You're Icky Vicky!" Jess shouted before promptly covering her mouth. "I mean- You're Victoria from her high school." Her voice was much softer after her initial surprise. 

Victoria's heart sank at the mention of her name. She felt the desire to disappear again. 

"It's not what you think!" Jess shouted. "She's talked about you."

"No, what would ever give us that idea Jess...?" Jason said which as much sass and sarcasm as one person could. 

"No!" multiple eyes shot daggers at Jason at his choice of time to be sarcastic. "What I mean is... she's always talked about how bad she felt about those days." 

Victoria's breathing started to get rapid at the thought of Jess telling her friends about her past. 

"No no no, she doesn't gossip about what happened." Jess continued "She just cries every time she gets drunk. She's no fun when she's drunk... She just cries about how much she hates herself and what a bitch she is." Jess took a deep breath and paused. "She showed me an old picture of you one time... she's been like this for as long as I've known her."