Chapter 74

SURPRISE PART 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

William's P.O.V

Running down the familiar paved path, I try to push myself faster but I was a small guy, plus I didn't really exercise that much - my body was doing its best.

Still, with who waited at my destination, I found the strength to go just a little faster.

The wooden front door opens before I even touch the steps and I immediately recognise the jet black hair and wide grin as Quinn's.

"He's just sitting up," he says as he steps aside, watching me bound up the stairs with a giddy smile.

"Thanks," I manage breathlessly as I move past him and basically speedwalk through the house.

I had just enough sense not to run through someone else's home.

Quinn follows closely behind me but he keeps a distance between us that allows him to not crash into me when I stop in the open doorway.

"Mekhi!"

Mekhi looks up from his crouched position at the side of his bed and a blurry row of white promise me a crooked smile.

"Hey Will," he rasps, his voice sounding strained and tired.

Two weeks had passed since Mekhi... fainted? And even though I'd worn a brave face for Damon, I was secretly growing worried that he may not wake up anytime soon or that it was all far more serious than we originally thought. 

It was hard not to think so when each visit he was in the same position just barely breathing.

Seeing him now, sitting up in his bed and smiling at me, those worries vanished and I couldn't stop myself from going as close to him as I could to see him better.

Seated at his side, Colson kept a firm hand on Mekhi's back to help him remain seated upright while I crouched down in front of him and examined him as best as I could. There wasn't much I could make out from Mekhi beyond his constantly glowing yellow eyes and slightly strained features, but the fact that his body was mostly relaxed seemed like a good sign to me.

"How are you feeling?" I ask gently, keeping my voice low like I probably should've when I first saw him.

"Good," he replies with a sigh, "really good."

"Rested?" I prompt and he nods, his smile growing wider.

"Like I've slept for a year," 

"You might as well have," Quinn mumbles as he sits down on Mekhi's free side, "but we're glad to have you back Sleeping Beauty."

Mekhi frowns while Quinn and I grin, "Damon will explain that one," I say which makes even Colson smile.

With how constantly Damon and I visited Mekhi, it was a given that we'd come to know his housemates. What we didn't expect were the relationships we'd develop with them.

Quinn - who'd been reserved to start and very unhappy to have people constantly in his house - was someone I now considered to be a friend, so much that I always stayed any extra while to catch up with him after each visit. 

Though Quinn was a bit of a bookworm who liked silence, so I could only get him to chat for a bit before he'd be ducking his head in some book.

And while we'd known Colson before, he and Damon were far closer than just acquaintances now. They were friends, good friends, something which was funny to watch with how animated Damon got when they talked about all the intricacies of their weapons while Colson was always calm and collected, his answers to the point and simple.