Chapter 40

Picture of William

---------

William's P.O.V

There were many people here tonight, all dressed in their finest materials that they wore almost as graciously as the masks on their faces. Moving in calculated paces, they all made there way around the grand ballroom, making stiff conversation with even stiffer acquaintances.

Mother hadn't shared more details than she found necessary so all I knew of tonight's function was that it was the Haynes' annual Christmas dinner. It was a private affair and according to mother, we'd been extremely 'blessed' to be invited to such an event. In that accord, my behaviour was to be at its finest.

"Now, remember your manners William, you're not to say a single word unless spoken to," She'd said as we walked up the elegant entryway behind father who was too busy admiring the large mansion to pay us any piece of mind. "You're to be kind and cordial, perfectly behaved."

I'd replied the same as always, offering her a gentle "Yes mother," and the small smile we'd spent hours tweaking to her satisfaction.

Though the slight crack her own mask of happiness revealed told me that I hadn't managed to wear my mask just as well as she hoped. 

"It'll have to do," She muttered just before father gave us a sweeping last glance of judgement before knocking at the front door. 

And it had done as I moved closely behind mother and father for the remainder of the night, following close behind as they greeted guest after guest. I didn't speak much, not because I didn't want to but because there was hardly ever a comment thrown my way.

So I'd just offered my little false smiles until mother and father had grown bored of my presence and shooed me away to take uphold in a corner while they approached the more important guests.

That's how I found myself in my current position, sitting on one of the lone chairs that rested in the shadows of the ballroom watching the crowd circle one another like a pack of starved foxes looking for their next meal. 

I let my gaze drop to a half-empty glass of champagne in my hand, entertaining myself for a moment by watching the bubbles rise to the surface one by one. 

I figured I'd only have to endure this for another two hours before we'd return home and mother and father would forget of my presence until they needed to fulfil appearances again.

"You look more miserable than the staff," 

I immediately straighten my fallen posture as I look up to find a guy I didn't recognise looking down at me with a wide grin that didn't match the atmosphere. I didn't have to be standing to tell that he was taller than me, his eyes were a light brown that offered warmth. His features were sharp and perfect in all the right places but not in a cunning way, something about it drew me in.

"Hello?" He says after a moment making me blink my way out of my daze. "I thought I lost you there." 

Standing quickly I try to silence mother's scolding voice for my lack of manners as palm my suit jacket nervously, taking out any and all wrinkles before finally raising my gaze to meet the strangers.

"I apologize, I seemed to have lost my thoughts for a moment," I say apologetically.

"It's fine by me, no harm done," He dismisses readily, "Would you mind if I join you?" He asks carefully, his head tilting to the side in reference to one of the other lonely chairs beside me.