Chapter 33

This is 2nd part to a double update, make sure u read first one before this.

Song for the entire chapter - Week No.4 - Fabrizio Paterlini

--------------------

Damon's P.O.V

It was the same. All of it.

The feel of the fallen streams of sunlight that broke through the leaves scattered high above.

The sound of the pack's unified hum, all hearts beating together as one, linked together by the bond that pulled so viscously on me now.

The smell of the thick, oak trees that lined the path to the house I'd spent most of my years in.

The way the rocks crunched beneath each step I took closer to the doors I'd fled from.

The rush of the wind against my skin as it traveled through the pack, touching every member as it moved in a swift, linking motion before repeating itself.

It was all the same.... yet I didn't feel the same being here.

I didn't feel the same catching my first glimpse of the white walls that stood tall, bordered by pillars I'd watched be installed.

I didn't feel the same smelling the comforting scent of pine and lemon that always meant home.

I didn't feel the same as I approached my family home, hands locked tightly with my mate's.

I try not to dwell on that part too much, try not to focus on how different I felt coming back now than I had for the months leading up to the pinnacle of my downfall.

The rage was almost completely dormant, a silent sound that contrasted the loud voice that seemed to be nothing further than a memory now.

It was almost as if it didn't exist. A faith I could have never predicted, not when it was so suffocating.

Yet I breathed easy now, taking in the scent of my mate to ground me when things threatened to topple over.

I was fine now, fine with him.

My feet stop themselves the moment the entire house comes into view as well as the six figures waiting in front of it.

They hadn't spotted us yet, but I saw them. All of them, waiting... for me...

My eyes found dad first. 

Found his overgrown, blonde hair which draped over his shoulders and caught snatched glimpses of those electric blue eyes that were wide now as he paced in front of the others. His index finger caught between his teeth as he gnawed at it.

There were heavy bags under his eyes, deep ones that sunk into his slightly hollowed cheeks. Theo whines with discomfort at the sight that caused my insides to twist into a knot that made it hard to breathe. 

The knot only tightening, that ache in my chest deepening when my eyes drifted down to his leg, witnessing within that torturous moment the almost unnoticeable limp in his step that made a million questions arise along with the rage.

He was hurt and it tore at everything within me that I couldn't have stopped it.

I let my eyes scan his body, searching for any other wounds but luckily coming up empty. But as my eyes refocused on his face, I finally read his expression for what it was meant to be... nerves.

He looked nervous.

My eyes slipped to Hagen next. 

He was perched upon the highest step, his knees tucked into his chest and his arms wrapped tightly around them.