f i r s t. t i m e.

A/N: sorry it's short after such a long time I just felt like posting a tiny bit of angst with a bit of fluff :)

"Ok 5 minutes guys!"

It was Lin's first time properly performing with the group. The fans had mixed reactions from the late release of his debut. Especially since he was a solo artist prior and was intended to partially stay one. Some fans criticised his late debut saying that he shouldn't be in the group as he had a lack of experience and motivation. While others cheered the young man on, celebrating the arrival of a new idol into the industry, intending on supporting him to the end.
Lin had first been revealed as a member when they were doing advertisements for their first album. No one expected SM to introduce a new idol into the group hence the mixed reactions.

Lin knew his situation was odd and strived to find how he was supposed to act and treat everyone, constantly looking to please everyone's expectations yet at the same time feeing the pressure of knowing he wouldn't be able to. Resulting in the awkward atmosphere in the dressing room that moment.
"You'll be going on stage first so be ready in 2, ok?"
A manager (not Joongi) patted him on the shoulder before walking ahead to check the stage and organisation of the other members for the last time before everyone would go on stage.

He could feel himself start to stare off as the stylist with him frantically adjusted his accessories and his makeup artist finishing the final touches.
He has always dreamed of going on stage and knew he'd be nervous but he never knew he'd be this nervous. He could feel his attention slipping away, his mind instinctively looking for an escape,  as he looked for the attention of another member to pull him from this sort of trance. The scene starting to blur and mid before he felt a hand on his shoulder.

It was Taeyong.

"Are you ok?"
"Y-yeah, I'm fine..."
Lin replied not warning the older to dwell on it yet also thanking him with his eyes. He saw the look of sympathy yet pride on Taeyong's face before he was pulled into a hug by the man.

His mind went back to the first time he had met the group and how welcoming they were. The times when he'd get the choreo wrong and they carefully taught him the sequence again. Along with the times when he'd mess up during recordings, where they'd say everything was good and that's they could just go again or that the take was amazing. He felt himself nearly tear up from happiness at the realisation that these men had basically raised him since he was 17 years old and watched him grow up to perform with them. Feeling that he'd good for once and how proud they really were of him.

His mind soon focused back on Taeyong to hear a small sniffles next to his ear before,
"You're gonna do amazing."
He said hugging the younger tighter before shouting,
"Group hug!"
Cueing all the members to run over and hug each other.

"Wait no my makeup."
"I think my earring is stuck."
"Who's hand is on my thigh?"
"Hah, you guys are short."
"This was the best yet worst idea we've ever had."

It was the first time Lin felt at ease with his position in the group and it wasn't the last.