Chapter 19

I don't know what to do. I've always been bad at consoling people. So I just sit there, holding Wanda's hands while she silently cries. I don't say anything, because what is there to say? Keep calm and keep going? There are people around you who love you? There is nothing to say. And sometimes, you don't need to say anything at all. All you need to do is be there. And so, I try to just be there for her. And as we sit there like that for a while, the tears falling from Wanda's eyes seem to slowly fall less frequently, until they eventually completely stop, leaving Wanda just sitting there in front of me, puffy-eyed. I again don't say anything, but give her hands a little squeeze just to show her I do care, and feel a small squeeze back.

Suddenly the door to the room flies open with a crash, making us both jump and let go of each other. In marches Garcia and Agent Smith, followed by three guards.

"Thank you, agent." Agent Smith says as two of the guards approach Wanda, who seems to recoil.

"I'm not done." I say determinedly, but my voice sounds small.

"Yes you are." Agent Smith says and the third guard walks up to me and shows me to stand up.

I get up from my chair as the other guards are dressing Wanda in the straightjacket and collar again, treating her like a lifeless puppet.

"I told you she doesn't need those-" I try, but I'm already being led out of the room, following Agent Smith and Garcia.

I let them walk me along the hallway outside for a few meters, before I stop, forcing the rest of the group to stop as well and look at me.

"What's happening? I was getting her to talk, wasn't I?" I ask Garcia and Agent Smith.

"We've had an analyst analyze your interview, and we suspect you somehow communicated with Maximoff telepathically." Garcia says, frowning at me.

"What?" I splutter, shocked. "That's ridiculous, I can't-"

"No, you can't, but she can." Agent Smith cuts me off dryly. "You told us the extra safety measures we put in place were unnecessary. Clearly, without them, Maximoff can freely use her telepathic skills. And if she can access those, who knows what other-"

I open my mouth to cut him off but am distracted by the sound of a door opening and shuffling behind me. I turn around just in time to meet Wanda's wide eyes as she's dragged away by the two burly guards.

"Where are you taking her?" I ask the guards loudly, but they don't stop, so I turn back toward Garcia and Agent Smith. "Where are they taking her?"

"We need to run some tests-"
"What tests?"

"And now that we suspect she might take her life-"
"Take her life? What on earth are you talking about? I want to continue my interrogation!" I demand, feeling frazzled.

"You are not continuing anything for the moment, agent." Agent Garcia sternly tells me. "Let's go."

And so, we continue to walk down the hallway, and I am very aware of the guard walking just a few paces behind me. Silently we return to the room in which everyone else is waiting. They pretend to be busy as we walk in, but I notice the quick glances they shoot at me. There is a new person in the room whom I haven't seen before, and so I assume they are the analyst Agent Smith mentioned earlier. Indeed, they are hunched over a screen replaying footage from Wanda's interrogation.

"Please, have a seat." Agent Smith motions towards a chair and I sulkily sit down, preparing to be berated in front of everyone.

Agent Smith and Garcia sit down near me and study me closely. I decide I've had enough of these men, and that I class them as belonging to the same kinds of assholes as Hayward. I keep my head up high and wait for either of them to speak.