Chapter 90

"Umm... Hello?"

"What?" Wanda snaps as she walks through the cramped space of the dark cabin, ignoring everyone inside, but apparently, Yelena cannot be ignored.

"I don't care if you starve; I'm still hungry." Yelena glares expectantly, hopping off the couch and walking up to the kitchen, passing Wanda on her path. Once Yelena gets to the kitchen she looks around, her eyebrows raised. I'm trying to suppress my amused smile as I stand in the corner, still shivering from the outside air which has seemed to creep into my veins.

"Sounds like your problem." Wanda snaps and continues walking, head held high.

"It's about to become your problem." Yelena shoots, leaning back against the counter, her arms crossed, looking absolutely fabulously unbothered by the fact that she's pissing off someone who could snap her neck by a twirl of her pinkie.

Wanda freezes in the middle of the room, on her way to her bedroom. She stiffly turns her head to see Yelena confidently stare her down. Yelena smiles a smile I can tell Wanda knows is very fake. I don't know why they don't like each other this much, but it's kind of entertaining.

"Excuse me?" Wanda turns to fully face Yelena.

"What? I'm just hungry. I don't know, maybe witches don't need to eat or something but I do and I'm NOT having another one of Natasha's dry crackers. So, witchy, food, thank you." Yelena stares at Wanda with a wide smile.

I can't help but notice Wanda's shoulders tense, her hands clasped together in front of her as she does when she's feeling uncomfortable. A small part of me wants to just watch whatever is about to unfold, but there's also an annoying part of me that feels... well, empathizes with Wanda, and I can feel gnawing anxiety at the bottom of my stomach, one I'm sure she's feeling. I partly suspect the feeling actually completely belongs to her. I can't help but take pity on her. Equally, I'm not in the mood to witness Yelena fly across the room aided by Wanda's scarlet.

"I'm sure there's something in here, somewhere, right? You must've been eating something while I've been gone." I break the pressing silence, calmly walking past Wanda towards Yelena, who quirks an eyebrow at me. I shoot her a look that I hope tells her to stop pressing Wanda's buttons.

"Wanda?" I look up at her when I receive no response.

"Hmm?" She blinks, looking like she's miles away and I frown, concerned, at this reaction.

"Any food?" I raise my eyebrows in question, already knowing that there isn't any. I store away my concern for Wanda once again, filing it in the back of my head where it barely seems to fit amongst all the other feelings towards Wanda I keep locked away.

"Er, I'm not sure." Wanda admits, her voice is slightly hollow as her eyes move from me to Yelena again, her expression one of displeasure.

"Well, can you, I don't know? Make food?" Yelena asks. "You're a witch."
"Yes, I am." Wanda forces a smile and I swear I see a glimmer of red flash in her eyes.

"Er, Wanda." I quickly speak up, intentionally placing myself between Yelena and Wanda.

Wanda blinks and the red is gone from her eyes as she looks at me with a blank expression.

"Remember when..." I begin, pausing as I realize she doesn't. Wanda's eyebrows pull down slightly, and I almost swear she looks apologetic. "Eh, when, um, when I-"
I stop stuttering as I see Wanda's lips move, but I can't make out what she's whispered. She seems like she's far away again, her eyebrows pulled into a frown as she stares straight through me.

"Sorry?" I prompt her, curious as to what she's thinking of.

Her focus is back on me and she has an expression on her face that I cannot quite decipher.