Chapter 20

The Raft is suddenly surprisingly empty, and I don't encounter too many difficulties as the guard walks me down long and complicated passageways, using his ID to open doors for us. I keep very close, holding the guard's gun in my right hand, pointing it at him from under my left arm in its sling.

I know I made the right call to have this specific guard lead me along, as he instantly struck me as rather young and submissive. He doesn't once try to raise the alarm. The people this kind of place employs constantly surprise me with their ineptitude. Surely he should be able to disarm me or at the very least raise some suspicion amongst his coworkers, but he does neither, placidly leading me towards our destination.

We finally come to a halt in front of a steel door, guarded by two guards. I silently curse at my arm being in a sling; I'm not sure I can physically overpower three armored men. That leaves me with just one tactic.

"Yes?" The heavier of the two guards looks at my guard as we approach. The guard falters, but I speak up before he has the chance or time to say anything incriminating.

"I need to speak to Maximoff again." I try to appear as convincing as possible.

"But she's-"

"I don't care, this is urgent. You can go ask Agent Smith if you want to, but he is not in a good mood, so be it at your own risk." I sigh, feigning boredom.

The guards look from one another, uncertainly. I sigh loudly once again, attracting their attention.

"I am seriously wanting to get this over with and that witch put behind bars for good. I think you'll agree with me. So, feel free to check with Agent Smith but at least let me in in the meantime. You can see he sent one of yous with me to alleviate you from your posts."

I inch towards the silent guard next to me and poke him with the gun, just to remind him, as the two in front of Maximoff's door contemplate my last statement.

"Right. Well, I guess we'll let you in." One of them finally says and I roll my eyes.

"Finally. Gees."

"Right, you'll stand guard while we go check, copy?" They look at the guard next to me.

"I.. eh." He falters.

"Yes, yes, he will. Now come on, I'd like to leave this wretched place sometime." I impatiently look at the guards and they begin to open the doors to Wanda.

As they open, I advance, still keeping the gun next to the guard and we walk into the grey steel box. I see Wanda sitting in a corner, but I don't pay her any attention and instead turn around to face the guards.

"He can open the door from the inside, correct?" I ask them.

"Yes, his ID. Will unlock the doors." The guard replies.

"Merry Christmas." I force a smile as the doors begin closing.

As soon as I hear them slam shut, I quickly remove the gun from under my arm and hop towards the guard, who is taken completely aback. I smash him in the side of his head with the hilt of the gun and he folds like paper, coming to lie in a heap on the floor, not moving.

I spin around and hurry towards the small figure huddled in the corner. She's leaning against the wall, arms locked across her chest by thick black straps, and the black collar is still around her neck, beeping peacefully.

"Wanda." I nudge her gently and her head rolls down before she lifts it back up and looks at me, dazed. "Hey, you ok?"

She blinks a couple of times, eyes completely unfocused and I suspect they've given her a nice healthy dose of tranquilizer. I look her over, trying to decide what to do next. I did not have time to think this far along.