Chapter 62

Natasha leads me towards Barnes' cell in silence. The only sounds we make are the clicking of her heels against the floor and the more muffled sound my boots make. I can sense she wants to say something and that she is fighting against that impulse. I'm too tired to confront her. And quite frankly, whatever it is that has got her so intrigued is probably not something I want to talk about. I keep seeing the last image of Wanda I have like it has been frozen on my retinas and won't fade. Her green eyes as piercing as they are soft as we made eye contact keep following me wherever I look. And I walked right past her, not strong enough to either comfort her or confront her.

I know she heard some of what I was thinking. I could tell as soon as I looked into her eyes. She might have the power to look into peoples' minds but she doesn't have the power to conceal her emotions; one look at her and I know, one dive into her eyes and they reveal everything. Only I fear I've dived too deep.

And so I've followed Natasha away tamely, like an old, loyal dog. I don't even know why Barnes wants to talk to me now, and what about. I assume he's going to try to get me to switch again and to become whomever or whatever Hydra made me. And that is probably why Wanda should be there next to me, ready to pull me out. But I don't want that. The thought of having to be saved from myself over and over again by her is one that makes me get this pressure in my chest which seems to squeeze everything positive away. She shouldn't have to do that. It's not fair and I won't use her like that. Especially not for that. No, this is something I have to deal with myself.

"Alright, enough of the huffing and puffing behind me. Talk." Natasha stops so abruptly I almost walk straight into her.

I stagger slightly, taken aback, having to step back a step or two in order to give myself a little bit of distance from her all-knowing gaze.

"I'm not huffing and puffing." I deflect, buying myself time and she knows it, giving me a bored look.

"That was not the important bit I wanted you to focus on. Talk." She adds, enunciating carefully.

"What do you want to know?" I sigh, knowing I'll get off more easily just giving in.

"Must be heavy if you're not even going to fight me, Olivia. That's a first." Natasha surprises me, giving me what I might mistake for a genuine smile.

"Don't let that get to your head." I warn her and she smirks.

"There she is. Now," She pauses, keeping her eyes on me while leaning back slightly against the corner of the wall she's stopped by. "How do you feel?"
"Worried I'll snap and try to off you?" I smile hollowly.

"Yeah, you'd try." She upholds her signature smirk which makes me roll my eyes. "Why didn't you want Wanda to come?"
I sigh, looking away from the spy at something, anything else. Although I knew she'd most likely not shy away from asking exactly what she would find the most pressing question it still doesn't help prepare me for the flood of mixed feelings that accosts me.

"I... I don't know what to expect with Barnes..." I begin honestly. "I feel like... like she's been put through enough and some of that has been my doing and if I can... well, if I can minimize some of that I will."
"Hmm." Natasha purrs in a low voice. "So, purely selfless, then?"
I look at her and she quirks an eyebrow, challenging me to disagree with her statement, which I know she knows is untrue.

"You know me." I settle with, hoping she won't push further. Of course, she disobeys my wish.

"I don't, really. I know I've been quite cold to you since you got here." I watch her, intrigued with this new side of herself she's showing. The Black Widow, caring? "But that doesn't mean I still don't care about you, Olivia. I just am protecting my family."
She takes a breath, looking away from me, thinking.