Chapter 21

"Olivia!" With one last bang on the door, the person on the other side goes quiet.

I stay frozen in bed. I squeeze my eyes shut once more. When I open them I'm still in my old dorm. I sigh and get up. I'm wearing pajamas I haven't worn in years. My ribs do not hurt, and neither is my arm in a sling. I'm completely fine. I look around the room, picking up pieces of clothing and textbooks as I go. It all looks exactly like how I remember it looking.

"I must've hit my head pretty fucking hard." I laugh, looking around in amazement. "I had no freaking style, either."

I walk over to the closet and pull out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with a worn Taylor Swift logo on the front. I still have the shirt, but I haven't dared to wear it since graduating college. I chuckle as I pull it over my head. Deciding to make the most out of my foray into the past, I walk out of my room into a busy hallway, filled with students hurrying back and forth.

"Sup, Liv?" Some of them nod at me as they hurry past.

I actually laugh out loud, making some students look at me inquisitively as they walk past me. I can't believe my brain has decided to take me back to college of all places. I briefly wonder when I'll wake up. Figuring I'll wake in due time, I might as well go to Mr. Lauder's lecture. I always hated him back in college, maybe I can have some fun while I'm here.

I lazily walk through the campus, breathing in the still warm fall air in New York. I must be in my second or third year, I guess, based on my surroundings. Everything feels so real. I'm amazed at the details my brain is conjuring up. The smells, the feel of the air against my skin, the clothes on my body, the sounds...

I finally make it to where Mr. Lauder held his lectures. The doors are shut, so I open them casually, not afraid to disturb the lecture going on. Mr. Lauder is in full swing at the front of the class. The students nearest the door turn around to look at me as I walk in. I stay standing up in the back, not minding the curious stares I get.

"And so, what three rights are suspects granted when arrested, hmm?" Mr. Lauder asks the room, not yet having spotted me. I look around the room, curiously.

The students shuffle a little bit, a few timid hands being raised. Mr. Lauder sighs audibly, rolling his eyes. I grimace at the sight of him. Ugh.

"Come on, people. It's a very simple question." He says, ignoring the hands in the air.

"They may get free legal advice, ask the police to tell someone they have been arrested, and look at the Codes of Practice, which is a book about what the police can do and how they should do things. Basically." I say loudly.

The whole lecture hall turns around to look at me and Mr. Lauder looks up, surprised. When he sees who's spoken, he seems to deflate, slightly.

"Ah. Olivia." He says, sweetly. "How nice of you to show up. Thirty-five minutes late." He informs me, looking down at his wristwatch.

"You were always slow to get going." I shrug, some students quietly chuckling at me.

"Have a seat."

"You know, I think I should have a go at this whole teaching thing!" I suddenly say and hop down the steps to the front of the hall.

This makes the hall erupt in whispers as students turn to whisper to one another. Mr. Lauder looks utterly taken aback.

"I bet this has never happened in your hundred and fifty years of teaching, huh?" I wink at him.

His mouth opens and closes like a goldfish, but he has suddenly lost the ability to speak. I laugh merrily, quite enjoying my little trip.