Chapter 66

When the roaring wind around me finally settles and I feel heavy again, I slowly dare open my eyes, squinting at first, not used to my new surroundings. I still feel like I'm spinning, but I am standing on my two feet, steadily on the ground. The weight of Maximoff's limp body is heavy against my back, but nevertheless, I cling on to her not quite unlike a leopard clings to its prey as it drags it up a tree, scared if I let go I might continue spinning to never stop.

I'm not quite sure why, but even now as my surroundings are supposed to have stopped spinning, they still do It all makes me feel like I have been drinking. The tell-tale feeling of nausea just sitting in the back of my throat makes itself known, and I feel rather wobbly. I am not sure if this is just a side-effect from whatever I just experienced or if I am actually drunk. I frown, shaking my heavy head, trying to clear it. It feels like there is a heavy, thick fog inside of my brain, and yet I feel completely clear-headed. I blink again, shapes and shadows finally taking form around me. I am standing in what seems like to be a rather large, dark warehouse, the only source of light in the structure a few brave fluorescent tubes that look like they have been hanging from the ceiling for longer than I have been alive.

There's a sudden loss of pressure around my forearm as Agatha suddenly lets go of me and I almost flinch at the gesture, having nearly forgotten all about her. The woman looks pale, like she's just excessed a vast amount of energy in a short amount of time, yet her eyes shine excitedly under her heavy eyebrows.

"Welcome back to the now." She says amicably, looking around, the movement making her curly hair bounce. "Hmm, looks like we're a little early."
Agatha looks back at me with a trace of an expression I cannot decipher, and even if I wanted to, she gives me no time before she plasters on a wide smile, her eyes trailing somewhere to the right of my head, where I assume Maximoff's head lies.

"Put her down by those boxes over there." Agatha orders and I don't even have the time to process her words before my body automatically moves to comply.

I place Maximoff's body down where I was told to. She slumps down with a muffled thud. I place her with her back against the heavy wooden boxes, her head rolling to the side again, her now messy braid having come undone almost entirely. Without thinking, I push some of her hair away from her face, a gesture of care that contradicts the careless way I've dropped her down on the ground. A dark bruise is already forming on the side of her face my gun hit. Maximoff's eyebrows furrow slightly and a small, indistinguishable noise escapes her lips. She is coming to.

Feeling Agatha's eyes upon me, watching me closely, I straighten out and take a step away from Maximoff, standing rigidly next to Agatha again.

"You know, we're really friends, you and me." Agatha suddenly says and I look up at her, surprised, and feeling quite the opposite for some reason. "Ultimately, we want the same thing."

"What is that?" My voice is flat, emotionless, matching the way I feel.

"Her-" Agatha nods towards Maximoff, who is groaning, her face scrunched up in pain. "to answer for what she's done."
I open my mouth to question what exactly Agatha means, because as far as I'm concerned, as long as Hydra reclaim Maximoff, I'm happy. Maybe that's what Agatha wants as well? Before I get to voice my question though, a small voice cuts through the silence.

"Livvy?" I look down at Maximoff, who looks rather out of it still, clearly trying to understand where she is now by the look of it.

"Here. Put these on her." Agatha suddenly makes a pair of dark, slick handcuffs appear from inside her dark robe.

I accept the cuffs and move silently towards Maximoff. The cuffs aren't like anything I've seen before; dark and heavy with a green, blinking light on each cuff. They're not even connected to one another. Maximoff, however, seems to have encountered the cuffs before. As her confused eyes see the cuffs nearing, some fear mixes into those green pupils of hers.