Little Mouse (ARCase)

Sallie McClain had learned long ago, if you wanted something in life, to make it so, you had to take it indeed. Be willing to do anything. No price was too steep.

But you didn't have to always be the one to pay the price. Or do all the dirty work on your own, make the sacrifice. All you had to do was find someone else to do the dirty work for you.

It wasn't so hard to find the right person for the job you needed done. You watched, and you found the lonely one. The soul who was desperate for some companionship in some way. A few kind words, some common ground, a new dear friendship seemingly found.

And though Sallie hadn't been around in BG all that long yet, she'd already made the best bet. The first day she'd come to BG, she'd scoured the hotel for her perfect birdy.

Found herself a pair of eyes in the hotel, one whom knew it well. A little birdy eager to please, desperate for the company.

The art of making people tell you things came from not letting them in on the game. A cup of tea, some sweets, some company, two gals chatting cheerfully. And soon that little birdy began to sing, all too eager to please.

Sallie had found the perfect mark quite easily indeed. After a few hours of sitting in the hotel lobby.

Her nose in a book or so it'd seem, but Sallie was people watching. The employees of the hotel, discovering which one would serve her needs nicely.

One maid did stand out from the rest.

She didn't speak with the guests.

Or the other members of staff really.

Except when they were ordering her around, the maid's eyes were usually on the ground.

She was timid and weak, the perfect candidate so to speak.

She didn't talk back or question their constant demands. She also wore no wedding band.

She ate her lunch alone out behind the hotel. Which for Sallie that was good and well. Ann was her name, her face was quite plain. She was also old enough to be considered on the edge of spinsterhood. No prospect nor friends in sight, just ripe for the picking alright.

That first day, Sallie had pretended to stumble upon Ann accidentally. As she snuck out for a cigarette, while Ann was eating out there quietly.

 As she snuck out for a cigarette, while Ann was eating out there quietly

"Oh forgive me! I didn't mean to interrupt your lunch ma'am. I can leave you in peace," said Sallie with a smile.

"No bother, I'll only be but a little while Miss," said Ann.

"Are you sure you don't mind my intrusion? I'd imagine you'd want some time alone, seeing as the hotel works your fingers to the bone."

Sallie frowned, but Ann bowed her head.

"I don't mind the work Miss. The pay is decent. I've worked in far worse places than this."

"That's a shame you have to work so hard for so little, miss? I didn't catch your name. I'm Sallie McClain."