Victim of Circumstance (ARCase and Ruechari)

Still shaken by what had happened with Ruechari, Jake hurried towards the forge, knowing he'd be sorry.

Not just because he'd finally admitted to Rue there was no future between them, and he was letting her go. It was for the best he did know.

He wasn't good for anyone, especially with Sallie around. It was probably best if he left this town.

But for now, he had to throw himself at the mercy of Petra, to plead and beg. A line out the door, he swore, and that was even before Petra caught his gaze when he walked in.

She was holding a hammer, her eyes burning bright as the fire. She was quite an intimidating sight. 

Jake swallowed and awaited his fate...

"You can go, I don't need you today," is all Petra had to say

"Don't give me that look, Jake. I've got enough on my plate. I've had to call in Jasper to cover for you again for Heaven's sake!"

"I know I don't deserve another chance, but today I'm a victim of circumstance. I would have been on time today, I swear if not for my unplanned trip down the stairs," he grinned and pointed to the stitches there, " I need this job Petra, and you have a line out the door a mile long. An extra set of hands will move it faster along."

"A trip down the stairs, are you kidding me? And who'd you get to stitch you up, Ruechari? I need to know I can depend on you, and frankly, I doubt that's something I can do."

Then from the corner, Jasper chimed in

Then from the corner, Jasper chimed in. Just when Jake had nearly forgotten about him.

"Come on Petra, let him take the second shift. I've got a date, I don't want to miss. You know what it means to me. I can't let down Rue. I'm sure Jake here can help you."

Jake swallowed thickly and refused to let him get under his skin. He doubted Jasper and Rue would last. It didn't matter anyway, it was in the past. He had more important things to worry about these days. Namely, how he'd rid himself of Sallie. And keep this job, he did so desperately need. But old habits died hard, or so they did say. He looked Jasper's way.