Taken on the chin (NehpetsEnal)

Taken on the chin

With Petra now departed, the fun and laughter were all but done.

But some of those present were still amused by Bart's demise, as they gathered back around the table.

And with a big smile, Conan reached to take Bart's hand.

He did not want to be one to gloat, he was a big man, with a big heart and treated the boys as if they were his own.

However, before his hand could reach Bart's, one of the new girls was by his side.

Bart's first thought was to resist her help and stumble to his feet unaided, just stubborn pride.

With one little glance into her eyes, he could see no amusement there.

It was a thoughtful, unpainted, and uncomplicated face.

He knew instinctively that her offer of help was made, with genuine compassion and concern

It was the first time in many a month that he had seen beauty in a woman's eye.

At that moment, he found new strength and felt inspired.

He took her hand, she smiled, and slowly helped him to his feet.

Thank you, Miss, that was very thoughtful of you.

Please excuse me, we have not been introduced.

I am Bart.

Now that did make her giggle, of that, I was already assured.

And you are?

I am one of the surveyors you employed to survey and map the Salt Marshes.

With a hint of sarcasm aimed at the round table, she added.

I have no doubt, that you have read my report and its proposals, while you were sat on your ass.

Firstly, my apologies it was wrong of me to assume that you were a new member of the crew.

She interjected: there seems to be many of those around here, new crew and wrong assumptions that is.

Secondly, Bret can you please move your chair over, and make room for the lady.

Ms. Salmon Smithfield will need a seat next to me.

Please, I go by the name Sammy, and I think it is obvious why.

Bart appeared to be taking his humbling on the chin and was about to use this to his advantage.

Even though in discomfort, he spoke with his usual articulation and confidence.

We all need to let off steam now and again, it is good to know that I am the one who with the help of my sister and Conan, has helped you do that.

Now let us get down to business.

Whist Mum and Dad have been holidaying back east sorry no more wrong assumptions.

We have all worked hard resurrecting the Liberty Belle, she is now truly a floating palace.

What she needs is a new home and a place where she can come to rest each year for renovations.

And with the aid of the work done by Sammy and her team of surveyors, we have the perfect solution.

Also, it may not be so much fun, but this will not involve building and destroying valuable resources or putting the environment at risk.

I will pass you over to Sammy, who will explain in detail what we have in mind for the future of the Salt Marshes.

Denver lent over and whispered in Missy's ear. It is good to see you cannot keep a good mandown, so let us hope he lives up to his expectations.

Have no fear Denver, the young man has our blood running through his veins, and he will not disappoint himself or us, and did you notice their eye contact?

No, I am more interested in what they have in mind, for the Salt Marshes, but it would begood if someone could distract him from pining for Annie.

I like her, she is smart, and she is not slow in coming forward.

Every man needs a strong woman, do you not agree, Denver?

He takes a deep breath, and experience tells her there is a smart-ass comment coming, so jabs him with her elbow.

Okay, okay, you are right, can we please listen to what Sammy has to say?