49

Love, Red

"I can't wait to see you. My dear murderess...."

Those words I read from another one of Red's letter won't stop echoing in my mind. I closed my eyes forcefully and shook my head trying to focus on the matter at hand.

"The only thing that will get you out of this training is either one of you is dead or nearly dying!" I yelled as the squad continued to run laps for the hundredth time. Most of them were ready to pass out but was fighting to stay awake. After this, is hand to hand combat.

"Is this.... Really..... Necessary.." Jean says between his heavy breaths.

"Shut up or we'll get another ten!" Eren smacked his head which made him grunt in annoyance. I was just standing in the middle of the field while resting both my arms on the wooden sword that rests on my shoulders, don't worry, I only use it when one of them stops.

"Seriously I just got discharge--"

"That was a week ago and you're not using your throat to run now move it!" I yelled with encouragement.

"This is really mean!" Sasha whined as they ran past me.

I realized I've been soft on these idiots compared to my squad back in the military police. When I first handled the mps I made them a training plan which involved a lot of sweating and crying, but it made them stronger. I want them to be in shape for whatever what comes on their way. And Levi was more than happy to get these idiots trained, by me.

"Armin! Those better be tears of joy I'm seeing!" I said when I saw him wiping his wet eyes.

"Yes mo-- I mean, Tanya!" He exclaims. Was he just about to say mom?

"Are they close to dying?" I was startled when Levi suddenly appeared beside me. Damn it, I thought he was with Erwin?

"Some of them." I answered plainly while Levi and I watched them suffer.

"You plan on giving them a break after this?" He asked curiously.

"Nope." I smiled. "Next is hand to hand, I'm gonna make Mikasa fight Jean." I said and he raised his brow.

"W-What?! Is this a death sentence?!" Jean who overheard our conversation looked at me in disbelief.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Jean. Don't worry, One day you'll thank me for this!" I yelled from a distance.

"Tanya. We need to talk."  I turned to Levi when his tone suddenly turned more serious than it was before.

I took the wooden sword and held it on my right hand while using it as a cane. "What about?"

He looked at me for a moment. "Why did you turn down Erwin's job offer to become a Captain?" He asked. I furrowed my brows, I thought it was gonna be something much more than that.

"No reason. Why?" I asked cluelessly. He just gave me a seriously-you're-gonna-lie-to-me? look.

"I'm telling the truth. I'm not interested in being a Captain if that means transferring out of your squad." I said. He was taken aback for a moment, not expecting the answer I gave him.

"I don't need you to worry about my squad--"

"Levi." I cut him off. "It's my choice. And I'll stay, whether you like it or not." I said and placed an arm around him.

"I don't want your life decisions to depend on me, or anyone else, Cause that already happened when you were with your grandfather." Levi says in a serious tone.