chapter 054

"It's kind of weird." Peter says as he looks around the lunchroom. "Just the two of us."

It was like old times yet again. Just Peter and Alex at their table. No one to disturb their peace as they both grab a book to read, at least.. that's what they used to do. Now they somehow look at each other and talk in school as well. It was different. When the Cullens were there, they somehow never got a chance to read their books or just sit in silence. They always conversed, though half the time it would be silent for the rest of the cafeteria.

"Yeah," Alex looks around and catches the eyes of Bella. Alex had heard Jessica say that the doctor often took his adoptive children to go camping when the weather allowed it. Alex had never heard a worse excuse for not coming to school. It seemed to be good enough to keep close minded humans happy. "Maybe it's better."

Emmett, Jasper and Edward were 'going for a hike'. It meant that they were hunting. It was spring and the bears would just be coming out of their hibernation, making the irritable. Something that Emmett had taken a liking too. Alex knew that Jasper had to go, he didn't want to. He could control his thirst better when she was around, but she needed him at his a-game if he were to help her withstand Bella.

Maybe it would be better if Edward and Bella had some time apart. He had brought her home yesterday. When Alex had been to busy with Jasper and their 'date' and asking the blond vampire to the Spring Formal, Edward had been busy with keeping Bella conscious as she apparently couldn't stand the sight of blood. Edward had taken it upon himself to bring the girl home safely, something that bothered Rosalie. Alex knew this because Rosalie came storming into the house late last night, her eyes holding fury.

Rosalie had stood behind Alex when the latter went against Edward for wanting to be with a human girl. Not only because she was their bloodsinger, but because it could go wrong. Bella could become the meal. Or she would have to be turned, something that Rosalie did not want for herself nor any other.

Biology was once again spent with Bella, Alex made it through another day without anyone's help. Though it did take a lot of self-control, something that was not her strongest suit.

"Shall we go out tonight?" Alex asks while making her brother's favorite dish. Every utensil that was used, immediately put into the dishwasher.

"Sounds good." He went ahead for a shower, his last class being P.E. "Smells amazing." He stands behind his sister and sneaks a little bite out of the pan. "Tastes amazing." He smiles at her and starts setting the table while focusing on his sister. "How'd it go?" Alex knew that her brother meant Biology, but she also didn't really want to talk about it. Not with him. He was either too easy with her or to hard.

"I guess it went alright." She nods and sits down in front of him before narrowing her eyes slightly. "I just don't think that Edward-.."

"You can't really keep mates apart." Alex looks at her brother and he notices that she is taken aback by his interruption. He had an idea about what she was going to say and it was not positive for the vampire.

"Do you think Jasper and I are mates?" Peter's heart breaks at the soft voice. He knew that she struggled with the idea of mates. There were huge differences between wolves and vampires and them. There were imprints and mates. And then there were hybrids who didn't exactly have either. But they did have love and Alex knew that. She did her best to show Jasper that she was all in for him and that was all that she could do. It was the same as what Jasper did for her.

"I think it's different for us." He replies just as soft. "We don't have someone attached to us from the beginning of the world, we choose who we end up with. Something like humans I guess."

"You think I should call Harvey to help?" Peter's expression changes into a confused one as he looks at her.

"He couldn't help me."

"No but I have you and Jasper as well. You only had Harvey at that time."

There were a few sore subjects in the Spure household, the time that they weren't together to brave the world was one of the..

It had appeared strange for Alex to not receive any news from her brother over such a long period of time, so she went home. She found out why he hadn't sent her anything. Isolde had been murdered in front of his eyes and he had been going on a rampage after that.

Alex had heard about the strange being that had killed an entire city, but she never thought about her brother. There were new born armies everywhere.

The female of the Spure soon learned - from Harvey that is - that Peter had found a bloodsinger, right after Isolde's death. The best friend of the two had tried to hold back the Spure but there was no holding back with a hybrid. At least not when you're alone, so he failed. In his eyes at least. Alex found it admirable that he tried.

This all - of course - set out a path for Alex to also murder some vampires, something that made Peter see the sense in his ways.

"That's true." Peter narrows his eyes and nods at her. "I'll call him in the morning."

Though Cullens came home on Sunday, their eyes all a beautiful golden and their energy refreshed, they didn't go to school until Wednesday. So the Spure's were alone once again in the lunchroom when the bell rang on Monday, allowing the student body to pour in and get their food.

Peter subtly taps Alex' arm and the latter looks up, only to see Bella arriving with her friends.

The human looks at the table and there was a sense of fear in her chest, something that made Alex narrow her eyes slightly. She knew exactly what it was, Bella was afraid that the Cullens had disappeared.

"You can't really keep mates apart."