chapter 038

Alex waits patiently in the living room. Her brother and her just finished a game of chess before he left her to go to his therapist. She knew that he would go at that time, so she asked Jasper to come over and he obliged. So here she was, waiting for the vampire to walk into the house.

There were certain feelings that came with being in a relationship and she had yet to figure out what they exactly were. She knew that she liked him - very much so - but she also had a fear that another person had instilled in her. It was time that she would tell Jasper that.

"Hey." She hears as the door opens and Jasper arrives. Her face immediately brightens at the sight of him and he smiles at her before giving her a small peck on the lips. It was something she couldn't get enough off.

"Hey yourself." Her smile makes him look at her awe. He had come to the realization that was falling for her, and he was falling hard. But she was holding off and he knew it.

"So what are we going to do today?" He asks while he leans back into the couch. She frowns as she looks at him. There was something off about him. He was tense.

"What's going on?" She asks him softly, leaning forward and looking at him. His eyes snap towards her. He hadn't expected for her to notice anything, he didn't know that she watched his every move to try and get to know him.

"I have been wondering." He says with a shrug. Alex tenses as she hears this. "That's all."

"About what?"

"I find it strange that my hunger isn't that big when you are around." Alex raises an eye. This wasn't what she expected. She had thought that he would be the first to talk about her hesitancy in their relationship.

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since we sat at that table the first day," he grabs her hand and plays with her fingers. "My hunger wasn't as big as I thought it would be. Every single time it's the same. I think that's how the rest of my family always feel." Alex stares at their hands and swallows thickly.

"I was almost married." She suddenly blurts. Jasper's head shoots up and she looks in his eyes, expecting to see hurt or pain, but it was nothing of the sort. It was something that she couldn't describe but it looked like pride.

"What?"

Alex carefully removes her hand and starts fiddling with her fingers. "It was in our Volturi time." She takes a shaky breath. "We had been there a while and we were talking about leaving. You know how I can't really help that I like beautiful people?" He smirks at her and gestures towards himself. "So you do. Anyway, there was this young man in Volterra. He'd always go his merry way towards his job - he worked at the bakery around the corner - and he'd always have a smile. Something so beautiful in such a terrible time. I went out of my way to talk to him. I bought loafs of bread every day of the week, just to see him. There was just something about him. I made sure that Aro and his goons didn't find out, but apparently they did." Jasper frowns and grabs her hand. She looks up and he sees that she is on the verge of letting go of her tears. He notices her emotions and tries to calm her.

"You don't have to tell me."

"I do." She sighs and looks at their hands again. It was easier that way. "They used him to get me to stay. They have vampires with those abilities you know. He asked me out on a date after two months of me going to his bakery. After that it went amazing. Aro, Caius and Marcus knew but didn't bother me when I went away to see him. They even urged me. They wanted us to get married but I knew that it was meant to change him. Into a vampire I mean. It wasn't just me that was mesmerized by him, but everyone was. That would make one hell of a gift, wouldn't it. But we did get engaged. He got changed before we could even plan a wedding. He loved it. Being a vampire. After two years we finally decided to get further with the wedding planning. I couldn't possibly imagine myself loving him more but every day I did. Or so I thought."

"They manipulated your relationship with him through Chelsea." Jasper guesses and Alex nods.

"I found out." Alex says but before she continues Jasper interrupts.

"That's enough for today." He walks over to her and kneels before pulling her towards him and hugging him. "We'll finish another time." She softly pushes him away.

"The thing is," she mutters. "I know that you've noticed that I've been holding back." He nods slowly. "And it's because of that but also.." she sighs once again. This was rather hard on her. The only people she had confided in were Peter and Harvey. "My wires are crossed. I havent met another hybrid like my brother and me. I don't know how it goes, but I choose who I'm with. It's not like a certain pull like with you or werewolves.. it's a choice which I made and I will see through." She says the last sentence while looking him straight in the eye. Something she also found hard, not because of her trust issues but just in general. He smiles softly at her.

"I don't take that lightly ma'am." He whispers before kissing the top of her head softly.