chapter 040

The school had been buzzing since before the Christmas Holidays

The school had been buzzing since before the Christmas Holidays. A new student was joining, and it happened to be the daughter of the chief. Someone that the Spure's knew very well. They hadn't met chief Swan's daughter, but knowing the man himself, she would be as awkward.

It was one of the days where Peter and Alex travelled together. She would be going to Jasper's when school was over. She had to give everyone equal attention and everyone understood. She hadn't told Sam yet, but that would take time.

Alex hugs her brother who pecks the top of her head before letting her go towards her partner. Jasper raises his right arm and Alex takes her place underneath it, him pulling her along.

"They're staring." Jasper mutters to his family.

"They either want to be me or be with me soo.." Alex says with a shrug. Jasper rolls his eyes but Edward turns around and looks at them.

"She's right." Alex starts to laugh and walks a little faster to catch up with Edward who she high five. She airkisses Jasper before turning to the right to go into History.

**

There had only been a few times where Alex had been late to the table that the Spures and the Cullens shared since the latter came to the school. Today would be one of those times. Her teacher had asked her to stay behind, he wanted her to tutor the sibling who had the most difficulty with the lessons. She told him that she would think it over.

Meanwhile, the Cullens had already made their way towards the fully packed cafetaria. Peter had already been sitting at their table and they take their place with him, keeping the seat between him and Jasper open so Alex could fill it lateron.

"Who are they?"

Alex ears perk up at the voice. She hadn't heard it before and she knew it was the new girl. Isabella Swan. Alex waits before entering the cafetaria and awaits the answer.

"That’s Edward and Emmett Cullen, and Rosalie and Jasper Hale. The one who left was Alice Cullen; they all live together with Dr. Cullen and his wife." Alex hears Jessica mutter. "The one to the right, the tall one?" Jessica waits before talking further. "That's Peter. Peter Spure, he goes here together with his sister, Alex."

"They are . . . very nice-looking." Alex holds in some muffled laughter. Peter had always hated to be called beautiful.

"Yes!" Jessica agreed with another giggle. "They’re all together though — Emmett and Rosalie, and Jasper and Alex, apparently. And they live together." Her voice held all the shock and condemnation of the small town and it makes Alex frown. She'd never head any of it, or she chose to ignore it.

"Which ones are the Cullens?" Bella asks. "They don't look related.."

"Oh, they're not. Dr. Cullen is really young, in his twenties or early thirties. They're all adopted. The Hales are brother and sister, twins — the blondes — and they're foster children."

"They look a little old for foster children."

"They are now," Alex could imagine the eyroll that Jessica gives the new girl. "Jasper and Rosalie are both eighteen, but they’ve been with Mrs. Cullen since they were eight. She's their aunt or something like that." Alex sighs before making her way in.

"That’s really kind of nice — for them to take care of all those kids like that, when they’re so young and everything."

"I guess so," Jessica admitted reluctantly. Alex looks towards the two and Jessica's eyes widen. "That's her." She harshly whispers and Bella tries to be unnoticeable when she turns her head towards the Spure girl. "I think that Mrs. Cullen can't have any kids, though."

"Hey." Alex sits in between her two favorite - she could say that now - men and keeps listening into the conversation. "Edward, stop that. You're going to scare her off." Alex had noticed that Edward and Bella kept stealing secret glances towards one another.

"Have they always lived in Forks?" The Cullens start to talk to one another but Alex knew that everyone was keeping tabs on the conversation.

"No," Jessica's voice implied it should be obvious, even to a new arrival like Bella. "They just moved down two years ago from somewhere in Alaska. Peter and Alex have been here longer, though they act as if they're new. He gets involved with school activities but she's a bit of a loner." Alex rolls her eyes as Peter softly chuckles.

"You're a loner." He echoes.

"Don't I know it." Jasper easily retorts back while lazily draping an arm around her shoulders.

"Which one is the boy with the reddish brown hair?" The new girl asks and Alex' eyes turn to Edward. He had been staring at Bella but just now looks over to Alex. He has a look on his face that she can only describe as some sort of frustration.

"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don’t waste your time. He doesn't date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." Alex tries to hold back her chuckle as she imagines Jessica asking Edward out, the latter looking over to her with an annoyed expression that she returns with a wink. "No one is for any of them. Except apparently Alex Spure." Jessica held a certain dislike in her voice and it made Alex frown. Besides not talking to anyone in particular, she had never done anything wrong.

They sit in silence before Alice gets up and Alex joins her, making the rest of them get up as well. "See you in Biology?" Alex looks over to Edward who smiles at her.

"Later." He salutes before going his own way.

**

Alex takes her place and smiles at Edward who sits at his seat by the window. They had gotten closer since last summer due to the projects they've had together. It was also kind of Edward's fault that Jasper and she are together. He winks at her before looking at his textbook as the teacher starts the class.

A small knock on the - still open - door brings both Edward and Alex' attention to the newcomer. Alex kindly smiles at her, there were only two seats left but Alex wanted there to be no bad blood between her and the new girl. Bella stands in front of the fan as she gives her paper to the teacher and Alex narrows her eyes at the scent and at the tension of Edward.

The Spure siblings were hybrids but they had begun as wolves and that was the part that sticked out the most. They only had trouble with the vampire part when they had just turned, they were newborns and wolves after all. There had been two cases in their hybrid life where Peter had found himself troubled with humans and Alex just found her first. Bella's scent made Alex' mouth water and she could only imagine what Edward must be feeling seeing as he is a full vampire.

The teacher points towards Edward and Bella sits next to him. The rest of the lesson had been awkward for Bella and very difficult for Edward and Alex. Alex could only imagine what Edward was going through. This was an absolute nightmare.

The moment the bell rings Edward rushes out of the room, leaving a flabbergasted Bella behind. Alex tries her best to keep her pace steady as she walks behind the rest of the students while only smelling the fruity scent of Bella.

"Edward." Alex mutters as she jogs after him. "What is happening?!" She asks him as she tries to wrap her head around what has just happened.

"She's my singer." He softly says to Alex as he walks towards his car.

"You made that poor girl think that she had the worst pores in the world!" Alex says out loud, making him stop. He turns to Alex and stalks to her.

"It's the same thing that happened to you." He growls. "Could you stop yourself?" Black covers Alex eyes as she thinks of the smell. "I thought so."