chapter 008

"You want to look smarter?" Alex hears from beside her as she grabs the books that she needs for today. She raises an eyebrow and shuts her locker as she looks at the Hale boy.

"What?"

"Your glasses." He points at them and she frowns.

"Are you saying I'm not smart enough?" She asks him, mock angry.

"That's not at all what I am saying. I'm saying you look-.." she quickly slaps his arm. Muscly.

"It's like reading these books. You've all done it before, but it makes you look human." She starts to walk to her class.

"You don't look human." He smirks at her. She raises her eyebrows.

"I look that terrible, do I?" He chuckles.

"If that's what you want to call it."

"And what would you call it, mister Hale?" She teases him once more.

"Like you fell from heaven." He quickly retorts.

"Are you calling me the devil?" She asks with a fake gasp.

"You don't look like an angel to me." He looks before them.

"You do know that Lucifer was the most beautiful of them all right?" They had covered that at the beginning of the Religious Studies and she had just remembered it.

"I know." He says with a smirk before quickening his pace.

**

Alex hadn't shown up the next day and no one said a word. No students were raising red flags, teachers calling her out for not being present, not even Peter made a sound about it.

Peter didn't sit with them at lunch and the Cullen's couldn't have felt more out of place. Edward even told them that it was strange for the Spures - or even one of them - to not sit at that table.

"I don't know what's happening." Alice says as she starts to fade in and out of a vision. The others melt around her like they were used to and she starts to draw.

**

"Where is your sister?" Peter looks up from his book at Rosalie. The boy looks around and shakes his head. His sister had been gone for a few weeks now. He and the Hale sister hadden gotten along quite well, just as he did with Emmett. They were a lovely couple.

"No idea." Rosalie sits down and looks at the Spure brother, who closes his book and leans back in his seat. They were in the same class of the teacher who had called in sick. "Is there something you wanted to ask?" He smiles at the girl in front of her who crosses her arms. She had a scarf around her for the warmth, the New Year being almost upon them, and it matched the colorscheme that she had going on.

The girl had taken a liking towards the open and soft spoken brother of the two. He was nice and easy to talk to. He was a brother.

"Not in particular." She looks around the hall and her eyes land on his face. "But now that you're asking," she smiles at him and points at his arms. "You and Alex have the same scars."

"That's not really a question." Peter jokes and Rosalie laughs.

"How many?" Peter shrugs and looks at his arms.

"I have no idea. To many to count. Jasper can tell you what it feels like if you want." He smiles softly at her.

"Are they the same?" She softly asks him as she leans towards him and traces the scars on his arms. They looked identical to Jasper's, yet there were a few she couldn't identify.

"Not this one." He points to one. "That one came from a wolf." He chuckles. "Alex dealt with that." Rosalie smiles.

"She does that for you?" He nods.

"We do that for each other." He traces the scar lightly. "It was the man who took away my wife from me." He looks up and sees Rosalie's lips lightly parted. "We had been together for over 100 years, we were happier then ever and we were just about to celebrate our marriage again." He tells her the story, looking out for any persons around them who could hear.

"I met her when Alex had introduced us at a party. We loved going to parties so it wasn't that strange for Alex to meet a stranger, she was always ahead of her time." He has a small smirk on his face, thinking of Alex's conquests. "Her name was Isolde," a glinster in his eyes and Rosalie recognises the feeling. It's the same she feels for Emmett. "And she was the most beautiful human I ever met. She was sweet, smart and had the humor that Alex and I share." He looks down.

"How did she turn out to live that long?" Rosalie frowns as she remembers them being together for over a hundred years.

"A bite." He looks down. "There were vampires in the area." A bitterness laces his voice as he remembers the moment. He hears her screams far away. "But she adapted so quickly, it was like she was meant to be that way." Rosalie looks at the ghost of a smile on his lips as he remembers her.

"How'd she die?" She knew that if he didn't want to answer, he wouldn't. She was still scared to ask.

"There were powerful people Alex and I crossed a long time ago. They came to collect one of their debts." He mutters softly. He grabs his books and stands up, wanting to go to his next class.

"You really have no idea where Alex is?" Peter looks up at her with a look she can't describe, but she knew that look. He knew where his sister was.