chapter 030

"You ready?" Alex pops her head around the wall and sees Edward waiting for her

"Almost." She puts on her last boot before walking towards the door. "Let's go." He chuckles as he looks at her. She had made an effort to look as if she was going to go mountain climbing. With her army boots, her thick jeans, a large jacket and a backpack. "What?"

"You look awful." She gasps before swatting at his arm.

"That is not a nice thing to say mister Cullen." He rolls his eyes but they take of towards the woods. "Which part?" She asks him and he loos at her confused.

"You knew what to get, you know where to go." He replies and she huffs.

"Just wanted to see some initiative from my partner." She mutters before taking the lead.

"This could go a lot faster." He mumbles after a while and she tries to look confused at him.

"You want me to turn into a wolf so you can sit on my back?" His eyes widen. "Is that the only reason why you became my lab partner?" A sudden smile breaks out on her face and he laughs.

"Just meant that I could run and wait for you there." She gasps.

"Oh," she puts her notebook away. "It's on." She rushes away and leaves a stunned Edward behind. He didn't know that they could also be fast in human form.

"What do I win?" He asks with a smirk and she rolls her eyes. "I won fair and square, though you tried to win false." Alex sticks out her tongue and hands him a paper.

"You win the fact that you get to grab that plant right over there." He turns around and looks over his shoulder back at her.

"That one?" His voice slightly annoyed as she beams at him.

"Yes sir." He groans before climbing the stones and getting the plant for her. She opens the plastic bag for him to put it in. He slips a small note in it and she carefully places it into her backpack. "Next up-.."

"Why were you so hostile when we arrived." Alex is taken aback by the question and furrows her eyebrows at him.

"Uhm okay," she starts walking towards the next destination while lighting up a cigarette. "Well, you're vampires. There aren't a lot of your kind that I came across and had a good relationship with." He nods and looks forward. He was thinking about the Volturi and how the Spure's left them. "Why were you so angry at me, you know, when we met?"

He laughs as he remembers when they first met. It was just a year ago and he had barged into her home, not knowing what he was walking into. "You are different when you're brother is around." She frowns and looks at him. "Without him, you were angry and getting on our nerves." She chuckles. "You still get on my nerves, but in a better way. Besides, you threatened to out our family." She smiles at the memory.

"Ah yes, well Jasper didn't help that fact. He was constantly on my case, trying to admit that I am Alexandra Sportaine like who does he think he is."

"Are you?" She looks at hi for clarification. "Alexandra?" She shrugs.

"I don't know." He rolls his eyes but is glad that the subject changed away from Jasper. "You want to grab that one?" Alex watches as he grabs a small branch and puts in a plastic bag, sealing it with another small note. She looks at it and notices the Latin name and the American name written on it. "How do you know all this?"

"What?" He frowns and looks at her as she holds up the bag.

"About all the names."

"The same as you know the colors and how to build something. It's in you." She chuckles before they walk further. She opens the backpack and grabs a bottle and taking a sip. "So do you have any hobbies? Any specialties?"

"Playong piano and reading."

"Oh, I'd like to hear you play sometime." She mentions. "I love classical music, I may not know the names of them all, but I enjoy them thoroughly!" He smiles at her enthusiasm and watches as she lights yet another cigarette.

"How about you?"

"I like building and making things." She answers without a second thought.

"Like paintings?" She starts to laugh before breaking of a small branch. He quickly writes down the names and they put it in the bag. "What kind of things?"

"We build our house." He raises an eyebrow at her. "Peter and I do a lot of things together, we learned how to build houses ages ago, though everything gets better with the years. This house was partly done and we fixed the rest."

"But it looks.. old." He finishes.

"We like that style. Not that your house isn't nice." She quickly adds. "It's just not for us to live in. Particularly." She frowns as it doesn't get better. "I'll stop talking." He laughs as she mumbles the rest of the words.

"So what are your real names?" She raises an eyebrow at him. "You're ancient-.."

"Oh stop it, don't flatter me." She mutters sarcastically.

"So those are not your real names." She shakes her head.

"Peter is Pietro, I'm Alexandra." His eyes widen and she shakes her head. "No." He frowns as he looks ahead.

"What are you?" She furrows her eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" She asks him.

"Well, wolfs can't run that fast in human form. Emmett had a talk with Peter about something but I can't exactly make out what, and it doesn't help that you can hold your breath longer than the average wolf." Her heart speeds up as she turns to him. A scowl on her face. "I'm not accusing you or angry at you, I'm just curious. You don't have to tell me anything." He holds his hands up in defense and Alex takes another look at him. His face held sincerity and it confuses her.

"I don't want to tell." She admits softly and he nods. "You ever tried a cigarette?" He raises an eyebrow as she holds out one for her. She sits down and he sits down next to her.

"No. Why do you smoke." She shrugs.

"I can't die from it, it keeps me from overeating on my emotions, it looks cool on me," Edward laughs at the statement and shakes his head.

"No it doesn't."

"And it calms my mind." She concludes, not being bothered by his comment at all. "But don't begin, vampires can't really smoke." He raises an eyebrow and looks into her eyes, wondering how she knew that.

"I'll try one." He grabs it and lights it the right way on the first try. He takes a breath and looks at her.

"You can't do it over the lungs," Alex says. "Takes the fun out of it."

He looks back at her as he takes another drag and smirks at her. "Might be, but how's it look?"

~~~~

I honestly love them as friends. Like fun and serious at the same time ♡