chapter 89

Jasper and Alex make their way towards the open field where the battle would take place. Alice had told them that they would still have a good night before the newborns would appear. Alex sniffs and Jasper holds her hand as Bella's blood appears to be coming from everywhere.

She softly growls and Jasper grabs her hands, making her look up to him. She stops and Jasper smiles as the black disappears from her eyes, just the normal Alex looking up at him.

"It's kind of hard." She admits and he chuckles.

They didn't go there just to be alone. No, they came there to train. Alex needed to focus on the newborns and not Bella's blood all around them. Otherwise, who knows what would happen.

"I know." He places the picnic blanket down and Alex looks at it while Jasper sits down. It had not been used since the last time she had game night with Peter. It seemed like a lifetime ago. But here Jasper was, making sure that their weekly game night would not be taken away.

He places the basket to his left and takes out a bottle of wine with two glasses before placing the games down between them.

Before Alex sits down, she climbs over the games and sits on Jasper's lap. She wraps her arms around his neck and pulls his face close.

"Have I already told you I love you?"

"Not in the last hour, I think." He replies and she kisses him softly.

"I do." She says and he wraps his arms around her, before kissing her back. He pulls her close and falls on his back, Alex' hair falling around their heads as a beautiful curtain who keeps their privacy. Their hands start to wander a little bit and suddenly Jasper grabs Alex' hands.

"Though I would love to see where this is going.." he begins and kisses her neck a few times as they sit back up. "And we have had a few dates till now." She starts to laugh as she remembers her remark back when they were camping. "I think it's not really the time." Alex purses her lips with a smile and pulls her hair back.

"You're right." She kisses him once more before moving to the side. She takes a sip of the wine and looks over towards Jasper with flushed cheeks. "So which game first?"

"They're almost here." Alice says and the wolves and vampires make their way towards the places that Jasper had assigned them. Alex simply stays in the middle of the field.

A pair of male bare feet step onto the wet grass. His eyes hungry as he looks onward. Ready for a fight. From behind him the entire newborn army runs out of the woods and into the field.

Their thirst at its fullest as they follow the scent of Bella's blood. The scent trail ends here. They're confused and look towards the woman in the middle of the field. She smiles, showing her perfect teeth and waves at them. The newborns snarl and go to attack but something appears from the trees with lightning speed and tackles a newborn. The other newborns spin around to look at the situation and see a lethal-looking Jasper in a crouch beside his victim's body, holding its disembodied head. He knew that they would go for Alex but seeing it, made all the feelings of worry disappear, just full on anger.

They rush towards Jasper but three of them easily go down. Tackled by Esme, Rosalie, Emmett and Alice.

Out of nowhere a pitch black wolf - flanked by two other wolves - lunges towards the newborns. One of them being teared in pieces easily.

Four other wolves dive into the fray. Alex snarls at them as they try to take down a few newborns close to her. This was her fight.

Emmett sprints full-bore into the fight, relishing the battle. The wolves work as a pack, coordinated, deadly. Jasper controls the field with his strategy and speed. Rosalie fights with an icy calm to her while Alice fights with precognition. Esme and Carlisle fight side-by-side.

Alex just let's go of all the anger and pain she had been holding in, taking down newborns left and right. One of them bites her and she screams, the venom hurting her right arm. She sees Jasper looking over towards her and he speeds to the newborn, biting its head off before looking at Alex' arm quickly.

"What happens?" He asks her, knowing that she had been bitten before while she had already been a hybrid.

"Some sort of infection." She says before pushing past him and wrapping her arms around a newborn and holding its body still with one arm while she rips its head of with the other. "Will take a while but will hurt like a bitch." She ducks as Emmett throws a newborn towards her but her hands fly up just in time to grab its neck. Her hands squeeze and she rips it down. It's body falling down on her back while she throws its head away.

"You'll be okay?" He asks her.

"Let's worry about it later." She smiles at him and both of them return to the fight just as Jacob charges into the clearing, tackling a newborn, going for its neck just as he was told.