Late night swim

Sophia was lying down in her bed, with the radio on but in a low volume. It was not that late in the night, yet, but she had decided to lay down already.

And she was lost in her thoughts.

Everything in the house was the same.

As always.

They have the same routines for years. And she felt it more, particularly after losing her sight. It was incredibly boring.

She was sick of life like that.

And, every time she thought about it, she could only remember that evening with Dr. Sullivan, who never got to call again.

What did you think Sophia? That he would call for a swim every day? He actually has a life. He does not have the time to wander around with you… blind one. She thought to herself.

Well, those were the thoughts in her mind after the doctor spent countless days without calling.

“Hey”

She heard the voice of her sister, near her.

“Are you not sleeping yet?”

“I was studying until now” she whispered, sitting on the bed.

“What do you have there?” Sophia asked, hearing the light sound of a spoon in a bowl

“I noticed you had your lights on so, I brought you our favorite.”

“Cereal?” Sophia showed a small smile and sat on the bed “You are going to get me obese!”

“Oh, c’mon, you love it”

“Yes, I do” Sophia gladly accepted her bowl of cereals and joined her sister. “How was the study?”

“Boring as always” Mia chuckled “I’ll handle tomorrow’s exams”

Sophia looked down. She felt so proud of her sister.

Despite all the work, both at the diner and home, she still got amazing grades at school. And Sophia wished she could continue and go to college. 

“Are you sure you do not want to try college? You could try to get a scholarship and…”

“Soph, it is not enough… and I probably cannot get one…”

Sophia looked down “I am sorry, Mia…”

“Hey” Mia smiled “That is ok, as long as we are happy” she held her hand “Besides, I’d rather spend our economies in something to give you your eyes back, than any other thing”

“Do not say…”

Sophia interrupted herself when she heard the phone ringing.

“Is that your phone?!” Mia asked, raising her eyebrow

Of course, the only people who normally called Sophia were Charlie, Mia and, occasionally, Alex.

But Sophia ignored her. Instead, she could already feel her heard running the marathon. Could it be him? But… it was kind of late, already.

“Hello?”

“Sophia?” she heard his whisper “It’s Ben”

Oh god, he called.

Ben, he said, using his diminutive.

“Hi…” she smiled “Ben”

“I am sorry to bother you… it is already late and you were probably about to go to bed… I am sorry” He whispered