Confidence

“Whaaaat?” Leo giggled at his brother “I will be the coolest uncle on earth”

“Right, the oldest brother is telling his little one to make a baby” Ben rolled his eyes, concentrating in the snooker pool in front of him

Leo smiled “You know that would be a big responsibility to someone like me…”

“Always throwing the responsibilities at me…” Ben stared at him “Why do you not want to be a father?”

His brother rolled his eyes, ignoring him. Ben smiled “It is not because you do not want responsibilities.” he stared at his brother, who kept avoiding, playing his turn “You are afraid you’d be a bad parent”

Leo took a deep breath, stopping to stare at his brother, who could guess he was about to change the subject.

“You know that if you even think of leaving Anna, Philips will ruin you… and your career as a doctor, right?”

The younger brother was about to protest and return to the previous topic, but such words felt worse than a strong punch in the face.

It was not like he thought of ending the relationship with Anna. Well, Leo just knew him way too well already.

Of course, Ben was having second thoughts, after weeks and weeks of constant fights, pressure and stress.

And Leo knew that very well. Also, he was totally right. And his brother never really thought about that.

“And father will not take that very well either, of course”

Ben took a deep breath, concentrating back on the game “I can handle father…”

“You are having second thoughts, are you n…”

The doctor quickly interrupted him “I don’t know, Leo, ok? I don’t know”

“What happened to you both? You’re crazy about each other?”

Ben sighed “I guess we used to be…” he played his turn, finishing the game “That’s the end for you. How’s this? Like… 10-0?”

“Shut up, I am not concentrated”

“Of course, that is why you always lose”

Leo raised his eyebrow “Oh?” he quickly grabbed all the balls to restart the game “Let’s see about that”

Ben smiled, watching him as he started a new game. He would feel a lot better if he had his brother around more often.

Or, at least, not so alone.

*A few days later*

“Hey there” Mia sat next to her sister, who had unwillingly escorted her to the diner, that Saturday afternoon.

Charlie had been invited to go for a walk and a card game with some old friends and, after their grandchildren convinced him they would be just fine, he finally accepted to go.

“Hi”

“There’s a weird looking fella staring at you for the past three hours” Mia smirked

“Oh, interesting” she whispered

“Hey, you are still sad about the sh*tty doctor?”

Sophia raised her eyebrow “Should I be? It’s not like he ever lied to me”

“But he would not have invited you out if he was not interested, even if it was for small things, right?”

“I don’t know, Mia! I was… well, I was not ok the first time. Maybe all he did was to try and make me feel better” She explained “And when he asked me to his place, it was to tell me about the results of the exam”