Lost

“Are you ok, anyway?”

Ben raised his eyebrow and looked up to stare at his father.

He had been concentrated on the meal in front of him, not really feeling like eating it, and simply making small talk with the older man.

“Just fine, how are you?”

His father smiled “You always loved to contradict me and my word, son. You are just like your mother”

Ben frowned, but let him continue

“And I don’t blame you, Ben. You are who you are and I love you, I accept your ideals and the way you see things. Does not mean I agree with them”

The doctor looked down, still not saying a word.

“I wish you could believe me someday, son. Do you really see me as a bad man?”

Ben frowned “Bad man?” he asked, taking a deep breath “No, dad. You are not a bad man. What kind of question is that? Just because I don’t like how possessive you are, just because I think you are too… stingy and obsessed with all you have and what you are,not only to yourself but to everyone else, just because you are constantly craving for fame, power and trying too hard to keep your name influent and respected all around…” The doctor leaned back “It doesn’t make you a bad man. No, I don’t think you are a bad man, dad”

The older Sullivan smirked “Always vomiting words”

“Sorry, was I incoherent?”

“Nah, I got you” he smiled 

Ben took a deep breath “I do believe though you would not stick to the words you just said for a long time”

“About me accepting your decisions?” His father called for his maid, ordering more wine “I might not agree with them, I might hate them, I would accept them”

His son took a deep breath, showing him a half smile

“I am also a father who’s decent enough to see you are not ok”

“I am fine” Ben insisted

“I know you have been having… troubled days”

Ben smirked “What? Your best friend Philips spoke to you?”

“Ben… easy” Sullivan spoke “I am just trying to have a serious conversation with you”

“What do you want me to tell you, dad? That everything is wrong? That I am sick of all this? Or do you simply want to know if your partnership with Philips is, somewhat, at stake?”

“Son, what are you sick of? Your job?” He asked “Or is this still about the marriage you never got to accept? I already told you that if you don’t feel ready to propose, wait until you are. I mean, it would be amazing to join families with Philips, but that’s your and Anna’s decision…”

Ben interrupted “It is not working”

His father frowned “What is not working?”

“Our relationship.”

The doctor literally observed his father’s eyes widening “Are you intending to put an end to your relationship?!”

Ben smiled “See? You would never accept that”

“Benjamin, that would destroy…”

“That’s what I thought” Ben stood up “I am going to go…”

The older Sullivan took a deep breath “Benjamin, wait!” he stood up, watching his son stopping with his back turned to him. “I was going to say that would destroy your career”