Determined

“Are you feeling ok like this, grandpa?” Sophia asked

“Are you in pain?” Mia asked

“Do you need something?”

“Maybe something to eat?”

“Or to drink?!”

“What if…”

“Hey…” Charlie smiled, taking a deep breath “I am fine, dears, let me relax here on the couch, next to you” he whispered, staring at Alex, who was next to Mia, smiling sympathetically “Thank you as well boy”

“Oh, do not, Mr. Peterson! I am here to help in everything I can”

“You scared us, grandpa” Sophia sat next to him, reaching for his hand

“I am fine dear, feeling better, just tired. Hate hospital beds…”

“I can imagine, grandpa” Mia spoke “Well, it is almost dinner time, I should start getting something ready to cook”

“Let me help you” Sophia immediately stood up

“Oh, relax, Soph, I’ll do it” Mia smiled, looking at her boyfriend “Will you stay for dinner, baby?”

The young man smiled “If it is not a bother…”

“Of course it is not” Charlie smiled

The older man had grown to like the boy and he got accustomed to his company around, even if he did not like the idea of him dating his granddaughter that much, when they first started to date.

Sophia, stubbornly as always, followed his sister to the kitchen to help as she could, in the dinner. However, all were surprised by the doorbell ringing.

“Can I go and open it?” Alex asked, from the living room

“Yes, please baby!” Mia asked as she went to get some chicken for everyone

“Dr. Sullivan!” They all heard Alex’s surprised tone

Sophia did not hesitate and quickly went to the door.

He did appear, as he said. It still surprised her that he showed up without telling a word

“Alex” Ben smiled widely at Alex, offering his hand for an handshake

“Benjamin?” Soph approached them

Ben smiled as he saw her “Soph,” he whispered “I try to call, you were not answering and I… decided to come and see if everything was alright” he whispered as Alex stepped away “And… I wanted to see you again”

Soph blushed, reaching for his hand “Come in” she welcomed him inside “I am sorry I did not hear my phone. We arrived not long ago from the hospital” she explained

“That is ok, I hope I am not bothering…”

Mia was still in the kitchen, not so surprised with the doctor’s visit. Alex, after everything Mia told him about the both of them, was not so surprised himself. As to Charlie, who had no idea about anything that was going on, he was speechless, watching the doctor in his house.

“Dr. Sullivan?!” he asked

Ben quickly approached to give him a handshake “Mr. Peterson, I hope everything is ok. Sophia told me you were not feeling well”

The older man, still surprised and hesitating, slowly nodded “I-I am feeling better now, Dr., t-thanks”

Ben smiled, feeling somewhat constrained. He did not belong there. Sophia, however, spoke before he could do anything “Benjamin has become a great friend, grandpa…” she reached for the doctor’s hand