Struggles

(Different plots separated by ** )

Mia became an early riser, ever since that accident changed all their lives. At the small age of 13, the young girl felt the responsibility to become what her sister was.

So, every day now, she was the one getting up and taking care of breakfast for everyone, not daring to say a word about the failed attempts or even the small bruises she had gotten in the stove. And, of course, she was never a cooker before, but she was trying hard to learn and be able to cook, herself.

Everything was harder, because Sophia was locking herself up in her bedroom and refusing to leave. She refused to talk. She refused to eat, many times.

She refused to live.

Or, at least, try to.

Mia did not feel comfortable going to her sister and ask for tips on cooking, or anything else, at all.

It was hard enough to go there, try to make her leave the room or eat something, and getting shouted at.

As to Charlie, well, the old man seemed weak. He would not admit how much Sophia’s condition had affected him. And he kept trying to show himself strong, when he was failing to be so.

“I will bring Sophia her breakfast” Mia spoke, quickly getting up.

“No, go, Mia” Charlie sadly smiled “You are late for school. I will bring the breakfast to Soph”

“Are you sure, grandpa?”

“Yes” he sadly smiled “Take care!” he raised his voice as the young girl rushed out of the house.

Taking a few minutes to finish his own meal, the old man was the only one who knew how big of an effort it was to eat something himself.

He had no hunger, at all.

He did not feel like eating, at all.

But he knew, he knew he had to force himself and eat. He knew that age was not helping him, and that all the small things young people never care about are significant at his age. He knew he could not become a problem for his granddaughters at that point.

And he was making an effort to stay healthy.

Maybe that would be a good incentive to Soph?

He could not know anymore.

He could not say he understood, because he did not.

He still had his eyes. He could still see the world.

He could not go to his grandchild and make her feel better with his lifetime stories and experiences, because it was impossible to know it was like to be in her position.

And, for that, he felt useless and frustrated.

He was used to be there for them, all the time.

He was used to tell them good lessons and stories of his experiences, when something went wrong with their lives. And now, he could not.

“Dear?” he knocked at her door.

There was no response.

“You are blind, not deaf. I know you heard me” he joked

“Thanks.” She whispered.

“C’mon, I brought you breakfast, this time”

“I do not feel hungry”

“You should not be so hard on your sister, it is not her fault, you know”

Sophia frowned “I know it is not her fault! I just…”