Sightless

Third Person’s POV

“What the hell are you thinking?!” Benjamin jumped out of his damaged motorbike, groaning as his right foot hit the floor “I just HIT THAT LADY!”

“Will you calm down?!” Leo approached him

“I RAN HER OVER!”

“I am calling for an ambulance, alright?!”

“I SHOULD BE THERE!”

Leo quickly grabbed his younger brother’s collars and pushed him against the wall “You are drunk. It was an accident. I am calling 911 to help her. Though I believe someone already went to her rescue”  

Benjamin just stood there, looking at his brother “How can you do that? What if she…”

“She is just fine. She will be fine, I promise you.”

“YOU CANNOT KNOW THAT!”

“Shut it, will you?!” Leo furiously stared at him “I will not have you arrested, bro. It was no one’s fault”

“I HIT HER!”

“She appeared out of nowhere!”

“We were speeding at a…!”

“DAMN YOU, BEN!” Leo pushed him inside his house, and into the guest bedroom “Stay there, will you let me try to do something now?!”

Ben looked at him, trembling. Just the thought that he might have killed someone was eating him alive. He needed to at least be there. Show himself and assume his responsibilities.

Apologize.                

Though there was not much he could do anyway.

He let his body slid down the wall and into the floor. His headache was killing him.

The hangover was starting to kick in. And the awareness of that night’s events were too much for him to be able to deal with.

*At the hospital, a few hours later*

“Grandpa…” Mia threw her hands over Charlie, unable to see him in such a state, and unaware of what exactly was going on “Grandpa… please tell me… what happened?”

But the old man could only tremble and hide his face in his hands

“They told Soph was going to be fine!”

“Well… physically… she… oh…” he shakily breathed

“Relatives of Sophia Peterson?!” The doctor suddenly rushed into the waiting room

“Here!” Mia quickly stood up, followed by Charlie “What is wrong? Will you tell me?!”

“First of all, I deeply apologize. No one was able to foresee such a thing could happen…”

Mia frowned “What happened?!”

“The brain damage was little and insignificant, at first, I still cannot explain how unfortunate this situation is. It seems like this little and insignificant brain damage was enough to affect the optic nerves”

Charlie just stared at the doctor, not really understanding much, but knowing exactly what she meant

“What do you mean?!” The young girl asked

“It caused permanent blindness”

Mia stared at her, caught by surprise. “B-Blindness?”

“I am terribly sorry. It is not something we can really work on. There is not much we can do now”