News

Sophia felt her body trembling. She was not sure if she could handle whatever Ben was about to say.

She began to think that maybe that was the reason he actually called her. He wanted to tell her right at that moment and not wait until the appointment.

What could that mean? If it was bad news she did not even need to go to that appointment… it was of no use.

“Sophia” he held her hand, with a smile on his face “Whatever they told you the day you went for the MR, is not necessarily true”  

She gulped, looking down and squeezing his hand.

However, she felt his other hand touching her face, and making her face turn to him again, so he could observe her closely.

“Sophia, it is only normal you still have some after effects, particularly on your occipital lobe, the lobe that affects the vision directly.” He explained “But those will always be there, I do not believe those after effects are causing the blindness, though. Those are just probably the after effects of a head trauma? Did you hit your head, when you had the accident?”

Sophia squeezed her eyes. The only thing she could remember of that night was those petrifying brown eyes that stole her sight from her.

“P-Probably…” she whispered

The doctor wiped her tears away, deciding not to dig into the subject. “It’s ok, I am sorry I brought it up” he whispered “You certainly do not deserve any of this, Sophia. Whoever was responsible for this accident… I’m sure will live a miserable life”

The lady took a deep breath, wiping her own tears away “B-But… what are you saying then?”

Ben observed her with a smile “Do not cry, Sophia… I see a lot of potential in you”

Soph stood there, in silence, slowly absorbing his words. Was he really saying that?

“I need to examine you, when you have your next appointment. There are several things I need to check out, Sophia. I need several exams, I need to make sure what to do…” he smiled “But, I am not convinced that small trauma you still have in your occipital lobe is causing the blindness. It could be enough to mess with the vision of color, distance, depth or movement, thing I call primary vision. But, it is not enough to cause blindness and no one can convince me otherwise. Not even a neurologist”

Sophia licked her lips, cursing herself for being incapable of stopping her tears “S-So… that’s a good thing”

Benjamin smiled, holding her shoulders “Hey, it is everything a really complex process. But I believe a neurological source would be a lot harder to reverse”

“But… is it not hard to do anything to my eyes, as well?”

He smiled “It is. But that would bring fewer consequences. I mean, you are already blind, what’s the worst that could happen? It is not the same with the brain. Other things could be compromised”

Sophia stood there, with her lips parted, ready to say something. But no words came out “O-Oh…”

The doctor smiled, pushing her into a hug “Hey” he wiped her tears away “It is good news, right?”

She cried in his bare shoulder, still not knowing how to react to the news.

In fact, she was having a hard time believing those words.

“I wanted to wait until the appointment, you know. My first thought was to wait and not…” Ben whispered “… well, not say anything before all the other exams and get a confirmation.” He smiled “I really do not want to give you such high hopes and then crush everything, but then I just remember you… and when I look at you” he reached for her face “when I look at those amazing eyes… so alive and beautiful… c’mon, there is no way you have to stay like this. There has to be a chance for you, Soph”